RE: [JewishKeidan] Re: Keidan: Cohen Family

  • Margery Cohen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2005
      Thank-you, Olga for the information.

      Margery

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: 12/28/2005 2:41:07 PM
      Subject: [JewishKeidan] Re: Keidan: Cohen Family

      Dear Margery,

      In my surname index to the Keidan birth records translated to date,
      there are 5 Bernshteyn/Berinshteyn birth records and 69 Cohen/Kagan
      birth records (Kagan=Cohen when transliterated from the Russian).
      Clearly there was a very large Cohen family in Keidan, although I
      cannot say that they were all necessarily from the same family.

      Unfortunately my surname index is just that--surnames. For reasons
      that are too complicated to explain here, I cannot include given
      names in my index. I compiled this index so that people can ask me
      if the surnames they are researching are represented. I cannot
      search for given names also because there are already thousands of
      translated birth records in my database and these are not in
      alphabetical order. The records are in chronological order and are
      grouped by year.

      If you want to know more about the LitvakSIG Vital Records Project,
      please go to the webpage below:

      http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeol99x/

      If you wish to become a member of the Keidan VRI group by making a
      contribution, you can find these details on the website, or you can
      write to me at ozabludoff@...

      A $100 donation entitles you to receive all the translated records
      to date as well as all those that will be translated in the future--
      about 18,000 Keidan records in total (birth, marriage, divorce,
      death). A lesser contribution is greatly appreciated since it
      furthers the translation effort. All the translated records will be
      posted on the LitvakSIG All Lithuania Database hosted by JewishGen
      http://www.jewishgen.org
      But there is a delay of about one year from the time the records are
      completed until they are posted on the ALD.

      Olga

      --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Margery Cohen" <margery@i...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Olga,
      >
      > I was wondering if you had any information on my grandmother and
      grandfather, both from Keidan. Lazarus Cohen and Tessie Cohen (nee
      Bernstein). I It may not be enough information because these are
      their American names. They are both buried at the Keidan section of
      the cemetery in New York.

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Margery Cohen, New York City

      STUNG
      > birth records, and 13 SMIT records).
      >
      > I am the Keidan coordinator for the LitvakSIG Vital Records
      Project.
      > We have already translated and distributed 31 years of Keidan
      birth
      > records. More are coming (there are 50 years in total), to be
      > followed by marriage, divorce and death records.
      >
      > If you are interested in learning more about the Keidan VRI
      project
      > and how to acquire the translated vital records, please contact me
      > at ozabludoff@v...
      >
      > Olga Zabludoff
      > Keidan VRI coordinator
      >

      > --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Asherson" <ashron@i...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone have any information regarding any survivors of
      these
      > families.
      > > ?? The Stung family was very large indeed.they all seem to have
      > vanished ?in
      > > the holocaust as have all the memebers of the Smit family .Dr
      > Ronald
      > > Asherson, South Africa

      home insurance company American family home owner insurance
      > Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale Family home
      finance

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      >  Visit your group "JewishKeidan" on the web.

      >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.