895Re: [JewishKeidan] Rooted in Keidan

  • Laimukas
    Apr 10, 2014
    Have thought this information would be interesting for you & have decided to share it with you. I have asked a history teacher from our gymnasium to present the activites students have about the Holocaust during their education in history classes.

    5th grade - children are familiar with the concept of the Holocaust and discuss the implications of the Holocaust in Lithuania.
    6th grade - world history and learn about the Holocaust in a global context.

    7th grade - learn about the history of the Jews, the Old Testament, the Jewish cultural characteristics, customs and traditions.

    8th grade - refers to the Jews in Lithuania, their impact on the Lithuanian city life businesses.

    10th grade - quite extensively discuss the Holocaust, the reasons, the consequences, the emphasis of the Jewish people loss disclosed by the Nazis and their Lithuanian collaborated crimes.

    11th grade - refers to the Jewish culture, customs, religion features.

    12th grade - once again comes to the Holocaust in Europe and Lithuania.

    "Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    Be honest and frank anyway."
    On Thursday, 10 April 2014, 13:41, אבשי <avshi_h@...> wrote:
    HI LAIMA.
    PART OF MY FAM. IN KEIDAN.
    STANDING FROM LEFT: MY MOTHER SHEINA GOLTZIN, MY FATHER PESACH WEITZER.
    SITTING          “          “:  GR.        “          RIVKA NACHA GOLTZIN (FEIN), GR. FATHER ARIE SHECHNA GOLTZIN.  (THE GOLTZIN CAME PROBABLY FROM EDINBORO SCOTLAND AS THERE CALLED=MAC GOLTZIN?!)
    THE GOLTZIN HAD BAKERY AT HOME (BEIGEL MACHER)- 7 CHILDREN (4 EMIGRETE TO ISRAEL (IL) = SHEINA, YONA, SHMUEL & JAAKOV. - SARA & HER FAM. LOST IN THE HOLOCOST IN MINSK (BEL.), SHECHNA LOST IN SIBIRIA 1937 (“STALIN VICTIM”), GITLE MARRY DAVID PRUSSAK & THEY HAD 8 CHILDREN (4/4) – THEY + 2901 JEWISH LITUENIAN CITIZEN MURDER IN KEIDANI BY THE NAZIS & THEIR HELPER.
    THIS PHOTO SNAP BEFOR 1932. MY FATHER BOUGHT AGFA CAMERA 6X9 1928 IN THE KAGANS SHOP. HE HAD A STSTIVE, SO, HE COULD JOINT INTO THE PIC.
    AS USUALL IN THOSE TIME – THE GOLTZIN – HAD A COW, IN THE SAME BARAKE THEY LIVE, FOR MILK. IT WAS A BOY THAT TOOK EVERY MORNING THE COWS TO THE GRASS OUTSIDE THE SHTETLE (TOWN).
    MY PARENT WAS NOT RILIGJOSE ANY MORE. THEY BROUGT THE GOLDTZIN 1936 – TO ISRAEL (“PALESTINE”) – TO THE KIBUTZ… THERE I CAN VISIT THEM …
    I TRY TO ENCLOSE THEIR LIT. PASSPORT THEY USED BY THE WAY TO  IL.

    LAIMA – YOU ARE DOING GOOD PROJECT. IF YOU HAVE INTERESTING FOR MORE MATTIRIAL – GIVE ME FIDBACK.
    AVSHI – BET ZERA

    מאת: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com [mailto:JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com] בשם Laimukas
    נשלח: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 6:39 AM
    אל: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
    נושא: Re: [JewishKeidan] Rooted in Keidan

    Dear All,

    I understand your point and can compare your pain with the pain of my mother's family experience,
    as they were sent to the Siberia for ten years. Although, I understand it is not the same too.

    As being an educator from the bottom of my heart I feel I have to speak about the past with my students.
    That is why we have lessons, projects, discussions, meetings. That is why we learn together with our students to be tolerant.It is not a secret that it is not always easy. But we are trying to do our best.
    Thank you for helping me to do this.

    Continuing our project I have started the presentation about Education in Keidan. As you shared some photos of "Tarbut" school and Kedainiai gymnasium I have added them here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1qVwUxwSOQs8ZSvtUzw23p9ozuagWV6P3efNeave2Y1g/edit?usp=sharing

    You are welcome  to add more photos on the topic.You can edit yourself in this presentation.

    Laima

    "Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    Be honest and frank anyway."
    On Monday, 7 April 2014, 22:47, Howard Wolinsky <howard.wolinsky@...> wrote:

    Olga made some excellent points.
    Perhaps Laima can share this letter with her students and put it up on the website.
    Privately, I asked a related, more indirect question: How many Jews are in Keidan now? How diverse is the population now? (I think there is only one family that claims a Jewish ancestor.)
    My point to the teacher and students was: What happened to the Jews who once called Keidan home? They all didn't live happily ever after in the USA, Israel, South Africa.
    It's important that these students know the whole story.
    Howard Wolinsky

    On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Olga Zabludoff <ozabludoff@...> wrote:

    Dear Laima,

    I’m sorry that I do not have photos of the Tarbut school in Keidan.
    You mention below that you are interested in hearing my “story.”  It is not a story I wish to tell you but some questions I want to ask, some concerns I would like to explain to you so that you can pass them on to your students.

    Many of the Keidan descendants to whom you are reaching out lost their parents,  grandparents, and other family members in the Holocaust. The pain of our loss becomes even more intense because in Lithuania 95 % of the Jewish community was murdered with the willing collaboration of the neighbors of the Jews. Lithuania has the highest rate of Jewish genocide in all of Nazi-occupied Europe, and that was because of the massive participation of the local population. Yes, there were some Righteous Among the Nations, as Alexandre Kaplan points out in her message, and these noble individuals should be honoured and their memories cherished. But why is it that the Lithuanian government chooses to memorialize Nazi collaborators like Kazys Skirpa, Jonas Noreika and Juozas Ambrazevicius-Brazaitis  with streets, schools  and university lecture halls named for them? Why are there no streets named after Righteous Among the Nations?

    As an educator I’m sure you know that history must be truthful and complete. For example, when our democratic development is taught in the United States, we include the pain inflicted on native Americans and Blacks. You are teaching about the cultures and diversity of Lithuania, but do your students know the full World War II history of their country?  Litvaks around the globe do not hold the present generations of Lithuanians responsible for what their grandparents did to the Jews, but unless  the youth of Lithuania are taught the truth, no real lessons will be learned.

    Best regards,

    Olga

    ________

    Dear Olga,

    You ask if I am interested in hearing your story. Sure, Olga. I think every single story is worth learning. You are a part of the history of the location I live now. I am very interested in such stories.
    You wrote ". Aharonas was the principal of the Tarbut School in Keidan (a school for Hebrew education)."

    Maybe you have some more photos from that school?

    Laima
    ___________
    Dear Laima,

    I live in Washington, DC in the US.
    I have visited Keidan twice and have been to Lithuania three times for extended visits.
    My uncle was Aharonas Poricas (Aaron Poritz). He was my father’s brother. I am attaching a photo of the family taken while they were living in Kedainiai in 1940. A year later they were all murdered.

    I admire that you are doing this project on cultural diversity in Kedainiai, but at the same time I have some questions for you as an educator. Are you interested in hearing my concerns if I speak freely?

    Best regards,

    Howard Wolinsky

    708-799-0635 (landline)
    312-909-2381 (mobile)