151RE: [JewishKeidan] My upcoming visit to Lithuania

  • Sally Mizroch
    Aug 14 11:15 AM

      Hello from Kaunas ,

      I arrived in Vilnius on 6 August and will leave on Wednesday, 16 August.  The trip has been amazing so far, and I will write up notes and share with you’all as soon as I get myself organized.  I’ve visited all the places that my Mizroch ancestors lived dating back to 1848 (courtesy of the ALD records), and I’ve learned so much (and have so much more to learn).

      This evening, just now, I’m just now back at my hotel room after meeting with Keidaner Judelis Ronderis, thanks to Regina Kopilovich.  It was a wonderful meeting, even though we don’t have a common language.  He remembered my family, my great uncle Dr. Peisach Melcas, and he was able to recreate the old Keidan neighborhood that our families lived in as we were talking.  It was amazing.

      I visited Keidan a few days ago, on August 10th, the 97th anniversary of my father’s birth there.  The archives in the multi-cultural center were a gold mine.  I photographed a lot of their archival photos, so while I was with Judelis, I turned on my computer and showed him some of the photos that I had photographed from the archives.  Judelis recognized some of the faces, again recreating the community as he and I sat and talked.

      Hey Andy, he showed me a photo of you both taken in 1995.  Too cool.

      Well, I have to find a little café so I can eat a little.  More later,

      Sally

      PS FYI, many of the big cities in Lithuania have free wireless internet throughout most of the downtown areas.  I’m in a little hotel in the old town, wirelessly “talking” with you all.  Very modern.