Don't Believe the Belief Thieves

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2011

      Here's an excerpt from this week's Signs of a Struggle  blog post:

      My father died 23 years ago at the age of 60 on a day I did not notice, busy with my own life, far removed from his. It shouldn't have been that kind of day. There was no late night bedside call for a last-gasp farewell. I did not even know he was so close to death, and, I fear, had he lived another decade, I would have known no more in 1998 than I did in 1988. At some point, I became so focused on him not being a good father that I completely neglected being a good son.

      I believed I had done what was best, surrendering to his belligerent determination to live life on his own terms, which turned out to be short-term. I'm not sure what he believed because I had long since quit asking or wondering or wanting to know.

      That was wrong.

      This week on the blog:  "Don't Believe the Belief Thieves." at this link: http://www.signsofastruggleblog.com/2011/06/dont-believe-belief-thieves.html