Re: [JavaScript] Question regarding database

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2004
      Rohit,

      Can you move the database to the server side? This would make things so
      much simpler. For one, there would be no license issues.

      You would access the database with your server language: Java, Perl,
      PHP, etc., and serve the user database info to their Web browser. You
      would use JavaScript only for some light front-end programming.

      Do yourself a favor and do a full design first. Flush out the potential
      problems before you start coding.

      --Tim Sabin

      > Hi,
      >

      > I am making a web-based application with MS-Access as backend..but
      now due to licencing issues i want to shift to some other database..I
      tried my hand with mysql by the concept of asking the user to import
      the sql script to make the database function is something i want to
      avoid..i want some database like access which i can pakage..really need
      advices early...

      > Rohit.
      >

      > Image by FlamingText.com

      > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--

      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/edFolB/TM

    • Rakesh Pai
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2004
        Dear Rohit,

        Your problem is not entirely clear to me. However, if you are
        considering alternative light database systems, you might want to
        consider SQLite. Its a flat file, single file database, can be queried
        using SQL, has ActiveX and ADO communication capabilities, and is
        extremely fast (currently, the fastest database system), and
        ridiculously small 'engine' (less than 200 KB, I think). Also, it is
        opensource, AFAIK, and hasn't got the licensing issues that M$ has. On
        the filp side, it is not really suited for complex databases, and for
        concurrent modifications to the database.

        HTH,
        Rakesh Pai

        Can you move the database to the server side? This would make things so
        much simpler. For one, there would be no license issues.

        You would access the database with your server language: Java, Perl,
        PHP, etc., and serve the user database info to their Web browser. You
        would use JavaScript only for some light front-end programming.

        Do yourself a favor and do a full design first. Flush out the potential
        problems before you start coding.

        --Tim Sabin

        > Hi,
        >

        > I am making a web-based application with MS-Access as backend..but
        now due to licencing issues i want to shift to some other database..I
        tried my hand with mysql by the concept of asking the user to import
        the sql script to make the database function is something i want to
        avoid..i want some database like access which i can pakage..really need
        advices early...

        > Rohit.
        >

        > Image by FlamingText.com

        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/edFolB/TM