Re: [JavaScript] Javascript and Oracle

  • Mark Eckeard
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      Javascript is client-side code, connecting to a database is server-side code. Unless you mean server-side Javascript.

      Mark

      Garvin Casimir <khing2@...> wrote:
      you need to read about javascript a little more. It
      cant do stuff like that.

      --- jperson19468 <jperson19468@...> wrote:
      > To all,
      > What is the correct way to connect to an oracle
      > database using
      > javascript? For example my database name is xyz,
      > user name abc,
      > password is lkm, server name drew. When I test my
      > ODBC it brings
      > back the right information. Could I get an example
      > of some code?
      >
      > Thanks

      =====
      HTTP://SILASCO.PORT5.COM/TONES/

    • jerome greene
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        What I want to do is have a person enter in a couple
        of fields on a screen and hit a process button. This
        should bring information back from the oracle
        database. The information may come back to the screen
        or be used in and e-mail or report.

        Jerome

        --- Mark Eckeard <meckeard2000@...> wrote:
        > Javascript is client-side code, connecting to a
        > database is server-side code. Unless you mean
        > server-side Javascript.
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > Garvin Casimir <khing2@...> wrote:
        > you need to read about javascript a little more. It
        > cant do stuff like that.
        >

        > --- jperson19468 <jperson19468@...> wrote:
        > > To all,
        > > What is the correct way to connect to an oracle
        > > database using
        > > javascript? For example my database name is xyz,
        > > user name abc,
        > > password is lkm, server name drew. When I test my
        > > ODBC it brings
        > > back the right information. Could I get an example
        > > of some code?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >

        > =====
        > HTTP://SILASCO.PORT5.COM/TONES/

        > Terms of Service.

        > removed]

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • James Eberhardt
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
          You need to look into using a server-side language like ColdFusion,
          ASP.Net or PHP. Javascript will not be able to handle this.

          James

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
            Jerome,

            If that's the case, you need a server-side scripting language. There are plenty to choose from:

            VBScript
            JScript
            PHP
            Cold Fusion
            Perl

            and more that I can't remeber at the moment.

            Do you have a website? If so, what type of languages does your hosting company support?

            Mark

            jerome greene <jperson19468@...> wrote:
            What I want to do is have a person enter in a couple
            of fields on a screen and hit a process button. This
            should bring information back from the oracle
            database. The information may come back to the screen
            or be used in and e-mail or report.

            Jerome

            --- Mark Eckeard <meckeard2000@...> wrote:
            > Javascript is client-side code, connecting to a
            > database is server-side code. Unless you mean
            > server-side Javascript.
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > Garvin Casimir <khing2@...> wrote:
            > you need to read about javascript a little more. It
            > cant do stuff like that.
            >

            > --- jperson19468 <jperson19468@...> wrote:
            > > To all,
            > > What is the correct way to connect to an oracle
            > > database using
            > > javascript? For example my database name is xyz,
            > > user name abc,
            > > password is lkm, server name drew. When I test my
            > > ODBC it brings
            > > back the right information. Could I get an example
            > > of some code?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >

            > =====
            > HTTP://SILASCO.PORT5.COM/TONES/

            > Terms of Service.

            > removed]

          • jerome greene
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
              Thanks James, Mark. I was not sure if I should use
              vbscript or javascript, I am new to both of them.
              I think vbscript is the way I should go.
              Can either of you reconmmend a website or a book where
              I could get more information about working with
              vbscript with oracle?

              Thanks

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com