textRange problem with the Select object (htmlText)

  • asgorath02
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi,

      I was wondering if anybody could help me with a (for me at least)
      rather difficult problem?

      I have been building a online text editor (editable Div) that is
      connected to different styles and as such CSS's. When a user selects
      a different style to edit in they get a different select box with the
      style elements (like H1, H2, etc.), as dictated by the CSS. All this
      is not a problem.

      However when I try and insert code for the different elements based
      on what the user selected I am running into a bit of a problem with
      the textRange of the selected section. What I am trying to do is that
      you select a piece of text and then say this should be "H1" text and
      then it writes the HTML for H1 (like turn "hello"
      into "<h1>hello</h1>" or "hello" into "span
      class='header'>hello</span").

      The problem I'm having is that when something already has a tag
      around it I can't always seem to clear it. Lets say I
      have "<h1>hello</h1>" and want to turn it into <h2> tags. Half of the
      time I end up with "<h1><h2>hello</h2></h1>". The problem is even
      worse when I want to remove all formating so I get plain text again.

      I've build a function that checks any parent elements and tries to
      remove those as well and I am using a regular expression to strip the
      textRange of any and all HTML but it only works half of the time
      (can't figure out when it does and when it doens't almost seems
      random!). I also actually clear the selected section before pasting
      the newly stripped one back (just to be sure).

      I've figured out that sometimes it continues to remember the htmlText
      of the TextRange. This seems to be the core of my problem. Sometimes
      after a clear of the selection it empties the entire htmlText and
      sometimes it only empties the actual text but NOT the HTML tags.

      Is there anyway to make sure the htmlText gets fully cleared? I'm
      going a bit crazy with it being readonly. Is there anybody who could
      offer any help?

      ps. this editor only needs to work under IE 5.5 and higher.

      Thanks in advance,
      Aldo Quispel
    • asgorath02
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
        Hi,

        Damn, typed a bit to fast. "Select object" in my previous e-mail
        should have ofcourse have been "Selection object". My applogies!

        Later,
        Aldo Quispel