master / detail form

  • unipaasdev
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2010
      Hi,

      I'm fairly new to javascript.

      I'm looking for a javascript solution that enables me to maintain master/detail records.

      Adding, removing and editing of data should be possible.

      The form should be looking somewhat like this:

      [Btn: Add Header]
      # HdrTitle1 HdrTitle2
      1 HdrData HdrData [X]
      # DtlTitle1 DtlTitle2 [Btn: Add Detail]
      1 DtlData DtlData [X]
      2 DtlData DtlData [X]
      2 HdrData HdrData [X]
      # DtlTitle1 DtlTitle2 [Btn: Add Detail]
      1 DtlData DtlData [X]

      Upon clicking Add Header button, a header record with one detail entry subrecord should be created.
      Upon clicking Add Detail button, another detail record should be created, belonging to that header record.

      Of course all values should be stored in strings / arrays to eventually pass them to the server.

      Does anyone know if such code is existing? Or can anyone of you js-gurus provide me an example?

      Thanx in advance,

      Ude
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2010
        I don't have any example, but I do have a comment.

        When you talk about maintaining master and detail records, you are
        presumably talking about persisting the information, probably in a database.

        As such, you need a server-based solution. This might use JavaScript for
        some aspects, but the JavaScript involvement would be minor.

        There are lots of server interaction facilities ... ASP, ASP.NET, Ajax, PHP,
        etc. Which one you choose to use will be up to personal preference and also
        what is supported on your web server.

        When you search the Internet for information on web server facilities, you
        will probably also find examples that come fairly close to the system you
        want to create.

        Seeing you're talking about master/detail, it is possible that an
        interactive solution would be more suitable (i.e. select the master and it
        populates the detail information immediately). This would lead me towards
        ASP.NET or Ajax rather than ASP (classic) or PHP. However, a difference
        design would work fine with the less interactive facilities, and I'm also
        sure there are many others out there that are not springing immediately to
        mind.

        > I'm looking for a javascript solution that enables me to maintain
        > master/detail records.
        >
        > Adding, removing and editing of data should be possible.
        >
        > The form should be looking somewhat like this:
        >

        > [Btn: Add Header]
        > # HdrTitle1 HdrTitle2
        > 1 HdrData HdrData [X]
        > # DtlTitle1 DtlTitle2 [Btn: Add Detail]
        > 1 DtlData DtlData [X]
        > 2 DtlData DtlData [X]
        > 2 HdrData HdrData [X]
        > # DtlTitle1 DtlTitle2 [Btn: Add Detail]
        > 1 DtlData DtlData [X]
        >

        > Upon clicking Add Header button, a header record with one detail entry
        > subrecord should be created.
        > Upon clicking Add Detail button, another detail record should be created,
        > belonging to that header record.
        >
        > Of course all values should be stored in strings / arrays to eventually
        > pass them to the server.
        >
        > Does anyone know if such code is existing? Or can anyone of you js-gurus
        > provide me an example?
        >
        > Thanx in advance,
        >
        > Ude

        06:35:00