Javascript and seo

  • mrvanman32000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2010
      Hi everyone

      I'am a little stuck folks as I understand it if you use javascript with css to create a menu (one with dropdown submenus)theres a chance your pages wont get indexed however i've spoken to a web design company and they say I have to have some javascript in order to make it work below is a reply I received from this company.............

      CSS only drop downs are a little bit limited, and not supported by Internet Explorer 6 ( where you have to use a small amount of JS ). We've got a small one already on here: http://www.westerncedarhomes.com/ ( under products ), if he wants to take some inspiration from it.

      Multi Level Drop downs will most likley definately need a bit of javascript behind them to make them function correctly, least cross browser. Multi Level Drops downs are a very outdated method of navigation for large sites ( he stated there could be over a thousand pages?! ) though as they are fiddly and frustrating to use some times.

      Could provide a single level drop down in a few hours matching the styles of his site, accomodating multiple levels may take longer though, or could find and adapt and existing one but it would almost certainly require javascript.

      Thats it thats the reply I got back i'am just a little worried my pages wont get indexed if I go down this route can anybody offer me some advice please i'd be very greatful

      Cheers

      Mark Healy
    • Gail Issen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2010
        As I understand it, your pages will be indexed if the menu degrades to plain
        code when javascript is disabled. If everything is in a js file, I doubt
        that it would be indexed since the search engines view javascript like a
        graphic.

        I use menus from Project Seven that degrade to a bulleted list when
        javascript is disabled. My pages are properly indexed in Google.

        Gail
        Gail W. Issen
        <http://www.xpertwebs.com/> http://ww.xpertwebs.com
        Tel: 713-721-6868