Request

  • Denis Caggiano
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
      Is there a way to request the DOM of an another page?

      Better yet, is there a way to know if the page that I will call will show
      some error?

      Here is my problem:

      Im using a hiperlink of the Gtalk and MSN in my web site.
      But if the user dont have Gtalk installed, the site show an error page that
      is not much friendly.

      The Skype has an JS verification, and works fine, if Gtalk and MSN had
      too...

      Tks.

      PS: Here the code for Skype (
      http://www.skype.com/share/buttons/advanced.html#detection)

    • janwen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
        Denis Caggiano wrote:

        > Is there a way to request the DOM of an another page?
        >
        > Better yet, is there a way to know if the page that I will call will show
        > some error?
        >
        > Here is my problem:
        >
        > Im using a hiperlink of the Gtalk and MSN in my web site.
        > But if the user dont have Gtalk installed, the site show an error page
        > that
        > is not much friendly.
        >
        > The Skype has an JS verification, and works fine, if Gtalk and MSN had
        > too...
        >
        > Tks.
        >
        > PS: Here the code for Skype (
        > http://www.skype.com/share/buttons/advanced.html#detection
        > <http://www.skype.com/share/buttons/advanced.html#detection>)

        you can write this to do that, you js verification,if verification
        fail,you could set some variable,oh,you use ajax verification? that is
        easy to do that,you could use request's status attribute to determine
        the web location,like the window.location = "error.html";got it now
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
          > Request
          > Posted by: "Denis Caggiano" denisribeiro@... onaiggac
          > Date: Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:03 pm ((PDT))
          >
          > Is there a way to request the DOM of an another page?

          Not unless your script opens it and it's in the same domain as the page
          containing your script. That's a security feature -- otherwise, people
          could rewrite other sites' pages.

          > Better yet, is there a way to know if the page that I will call will show
          > some error?
          >
          > Here is my problem:
          >
          > Im using a hiperlink of the Gtalk and MSN in my web site.
          > But if the user dont have Gtalk installed, the site show an error page that
          > is not much friendly.

          Instead of depending on the site, why not test the user's capabilities
          using JS and handle him according to the outcome? Your Skype button code
          includes this:

          <script type="text/javascript"
          src="http://download.skype.com/share/skypebuttons/js/skypeCheck.js">
          </script>

          You might want to have a look to see how they do it. Also, have you
          checked to see what information might be available for developers from
          Google and MSN?

          cheers

          j.

          --
          This message has not been scanned for viruses.

          Since I do not use a Microsoft operating
          system or software, and use only plaintext
          for email, there is little need for me to do so.
        • Denis Caggiano
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
            Tks to all for the help,
            Im looked for a Gtalk and MSN detection but and found nothing...
            For now, when the user click the Gtalk button, I send the URL to a popup to
            open the application and then close that popup, if the user dont have the
            app, the popup open and close and nothing happen...Same to the MSN... :(
            Not exactly what I looking for, but...

            Let me know if somebody have another solution.

            Tks.

          • Philip Chan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
              I found the code to detect whether the client has installed MSN. I have no
              idea whether it works on FF or Opera and so on.

              varMSN_Check;
              document.write("<object
              classid='clsid:F3A614DC-ABE0-11d2-A441-00C04F795683'
              codeType='application/x-oleobject' height=Ɔ' id='MsgrObj'
              width=Ɔ'></object>"+
              "<object classid='clsid:FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541'
              codeType='application/x-oleobject' height=Ɔ' id='MsgrApp'
              width=Ɔ'></object>");

              if("undefined" != typeof(MsgrObj) && null != MsgrObj.object &&
              "undefined"!=typeof(MsgrApp)&&null!=MsgrApp.object){
               if(MsgrObj.LocalState==1)
              MSN_Check=false;
              else
              MSN_Check=true;
              }else
              MSN_Check=true;

              functionMSG_SEND(mail){
              if(MSN_Check){
              varState=MsgrObj.LocalState;
              if(1!=State)if(mail!=MsgrObj.LocalLogonName)
              MsgrApp.LaunchIMUI(mail);
              else{
              MsgrApp.Visible=1;MsgrApp.LaunchLogonUI();

              Thanks,
              Philip
            • Denis Caggiano
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 9, 2009
                Here is the page with your code:

                <
                html> <
                body> <
                script> var
                MSN_Check;
                document.write("<object classid='clsid:F3A614DC-ABE0-11d2-A441-00C04F795683'
                codeType='application/x-oleobject' height='0' id='MsgrObj'
                width='0'></object>"+"<object
                classid='clsid:FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541'
                codeType='application/x-oleobject' height='0' id='MsgrApp'
                width='0'></object>");

                var
                MsgrObj = document.getElementById('msgrObj') var
                MsgrApp = document.getElementById('msgrApp')
                if
                ("undefined" != typeof(MsgrObj) && null != MsgrObj.object && "undefined"!=
                typeof(MsgrApp) && null!=MsgrApp.object){

                if(MsgrObj.LocalState==1)

                MSN_Check=

                false;
                else