Re: Upload progress bar

  • corleroux
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6 1:57 PM
      I'd hate adding my two cents here, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

      Firstly, was the progress bar thing sorted out? Did you get sorted with that?

      If not, then I would suggest the following:
      As this is a complicated topic which covers a whole lot of javascript techniques, please tell us what you have so far. Are you familiar with Ajax? Are you using a javascript library and which one?

      As far as the rest goes, I think this thread has gone off topic. I receive emails about this group on a daily basis and the last thing I want to read about in these threads are people having a go at each other.

      I agree with the fact that the request was poorly written to begin with. For a upload progress bar, you should really give more information than what was provided. The initial feel I got was that the poster was interested in the concept and have not written any code that needed debugging. Therefore, the response that pointed him to google was a very valid one. Could it have been said better? Sure.

      As for the comment about "what is this google thing"... Come on. If you don't know about google then you shouldn't be here. Besides, the link provided by the original poster was:

      1. A blogspot blog (Owned by Google)
      2. A blog about GMail (Also owned and operated by Google)
      3. Has various links inside the blog pointing to GMail and Google Groups.

      Going to Google and searching IS advice. It is advice that I give people on a daily basis and it's advice that I follow every single day of my life.

      Let's stop this bickering inside threads. That is not what this is for.

      Can someone also let us know if the actual issue was resolved or not?

      Thank you
      Cor le Roux

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6 10:58 PM
        Oh dear, oh dear.

        Well at least you're now on my ignore list, so I won't have to listen to any
        more of your ranting.

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7 1:00 AM
          Couldn't care less.

          On 7 Mar 2009, at 06:58, "David Smart"

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8 12:56 AM
            G'day,

            (Forgive me for top-quoting.)

            I certainly didn't intend to stir up such a hornet's nest of
            controversy, my apologies.

            Colin, perhaps when you've belonged to a number of such mailing lists
            for 10 years or more, you'll come round to my point of view, but since
            you've not yet done so, let me help you out a bit here:

            The original poster asked about doing something he'd seen on a Web page,
            and even gave the URL, but gave no indication that he'd even bothered to
            wanna do thus-and-such, please give me the code" emails in my time, my
            natural response was, 'A good way to start is to visit Gmail and use
            list again when he was prepared to show that he'd done so.

            And yes, I still think this was an appropriate answer.

            As for the "loops" question, that's a classic "Do my homework for me";
            the poster didn't ask about a particular type of loop, didn't ask, "Is a
            'for' or 'while' more suitable in such-and-such a situation", etc.
            Rather, he asked what sounded to me an awful lot like what I'd expect of
            someone who was taking a beginning JS or Web development course and
            facing the question, "What are loops used for in JS? Please provide some
            examples."

            Now let's talk about the "numpty" thing. According to the Urban
            Dictionary, this term means:

            > a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action
            > demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular
            > subject or situation to the amusement of others.
            >
            > b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment
            >
            > c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person

            I think we can safely discount (b) in this instance, right. ;)

            As for (a), I'm technical writer by trade. I've been involved in IT/Web
            in one way or another for about 15 years. I've spent the last 4+ years
            working full-time for a multi-national IT firm as a writer and editor of
            end-user documentation for a very widely-used Open Source software. See
            the last paragraph at
            http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/manual-info.html. I think you can
            also find some of the books I've written or co-written over the last
            decade or so listed at Amazon.com. Some of these are even about JavaScript.

            As for (c), I think I dealt with this previously.

            I don't claim to be God's gift to women, JavaScript, or even this list
            -- but I do think there's some fair evidence to indicate that I just
            *might* be someone of at least passable knowledge, experience, and
            reputation, and *not* just some loud-mouthed hoon who happens to have a
            keyboard connected to the Internet.

            So until you come up with better evidence to the contrary than you've
            presented thus far, mate, you may kindly get off of my lawn. :)

            In the meantime, you might well follow Dave's advice about reading ESR.

            cheers

            j.

            --
            This message has not been scanned for viruses.

            Since I do not use a Microsoft operating
            system or software, and use only plaintext
            for email, there is little need for me to do so.
          • pcr1066
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8 4:13 PM
              GENTLEMEN PLEASE! THIS HAS GONE TO FAR. THIS IS ABOUT JavaScript NOT AN ARGUMENT ARENA!