Re: [JavaScript] Prevent form default action in case of invalid form data on Firefox

  • Dermot
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2009
      2009/2/17 shadeoh <healthyhiker2005@...>:
      > Hi All:
      >
      > Can anyone send me a simple complete example of how to prevent the
      > execution of a form's default action in the case of invalid form data?
      > My form works correctly in Internet Explorer 6, but not in Firefox 3
      > or other compliant browsers. The form, the form validate, and the
      > default action are all written in javascript. There are no syntax
      > errors. Check out my site at goalaccess.com with Firefox and you will
      > see the problem. Try to submit the form with no data. The validation
      > function correctly displays an error message, but when the 'OK' button
      > is pressed the default action will be invoked, instead of returning to
      > the form.
      >
      > Many Thanks:
      > Shadeoh

      Complete example no. But try a combination of onsubmit and return;
      Dp.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2009
        Please show your code.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2009
          Hi,

          When you sense a <submit> button, call the JavaScript onSubmit handler
          in the form tag. This returns either true or false; true invokes the
          action, false aborts the submit.

          <script type="text/javascript">
          function something () {
          if (somethingElse) {
          return true;
          } else {
          return false;
          <form name="myForm" onSubmit="return something ();">
          </form>

          --Tim Sabin