Re: [JavaScript] Event coordinates

  • Aliu Raimi
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2009
      who are you and how can i identify u?

      --- On Fri, 1/23/09, Martin <martinfrey@...> wrote:

      From: Martin <martinfrey@...>
      Subject: Re: [JavaScript] Event coordinates
      To: JavaScript_Official@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, January 23, 2009, 4:03 AM

      "David Smart" <smartware.consulti ng@...> wrote:

      > I'm not following what you are asking about here...

      Sorry, Dave. I'm trying to use a tool tip script on a page that is
      4000 plus pixels wide. I want the tool tip to appear to the right of
      elements near the left edge of the window and to the left on the other
      side. Easy to do when the user hasn't scrolled right - but a mystery
      to me if the user has scrolled. I'm using Stephen Chapman's script -
      the tool tips (probably!) "happen" but outside the window...

      Cheers

      Martin

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
        Sorry, no idea what you mean.

        >> I'm not following what you are asking about here...
        >
        > Sorry, Dave. I'm trying to use a tool tip script on a page that is
        > 4000 plus pixels wide. I want the tool tip to appear to the right of
        > elements near the left edge of the window and to the left on the other
        > side. Easy to do when the user hasn't scrolled right - but a mystery
        > to me if the user has scrolled. I'm using Stephen Chapman's script -
        > the tool tips (probably!) "happen" but outside the window...
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Martin

      • Martin Frey
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2009
          Dave and Aliu

          I'm Martin Frey - and I'm holding a copy of the Daily Telegraph so you'll be
          able to identify me.

          I'm trying to program tooltips on a very large page that can scroll left or
          right and up or down. The tips vary in size and ought to appear so that the
          tooltips are always as near as possible to the mouse event that triggers
          them, but its hard to keep them on the visible part of the page.

          I can detect the co-ordinates of the mouse relative to the visible window
          and relative to the page however far it has been scrolled across or down. I
          can detect the size of the tip I want to show. I can detect the inner width
          of the window.

          What I can't detect is the inner height of the window in IE (though I can in
          most other browsers)

          window.innerHeight and document.body.clientHeight return absurdly low
          numbers - though not the dreaded "undefined". I'm really stuck on this one
          and help would be gratefully received

          Cheers

          Martin