Re: [JavaScript] issues

  • Jennifer Stine
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
      It is centering just fine when I look at it. I checked in both Firefox and
      IE. Could it be that you are looking at it with a screen resolution right
      around the 760px mark and you cannot tell that it is centering?

      Jennifer

      On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Peggy <ygroups@...> wrote:

      > I'm working on my website and I'm having issues with my style sheet.
      > I'm trying to center my site on the page but it's not working. Here's
      > what my ss looks like at the moment.

      > body {text-align: center;}
      > .wrapper {position: relative; width: 760px; margin: 6 auto;
      > text-align: left; visibility: show;}
      >
      > The URL for it is http://jabae.com
      >
      > Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

    • leo petty
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
        Hi,

        I saw your site. It is in the center. I did not see anything wrong there

        Andys L.J Sundaypink

        Blogs
        http://bourneaisyah.wordpress.com

        http://bourneaisyah.multiply.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
          The text-align on the body will not work. What you need to do is in the
          wrapper. This should be an id rather than a class because there should be
          only one on any single page. The code for this would be:

          div#wrapper {

          width:760px;

          margin-left:auto;

          margin-right:auto;

          }

          The trick to centering the wrapper is in setting both margin-left and
          margin-right to auto. You can also set other attributes such as a
          background color and a border to the div if you wish.

          Gail
          Gail W. Issen
          www.docsandmore.com <http://www.docsandmore.com/>
          Tel: 713-721-6868
          Cell: 713-501-2302
          Fax: 713-721-0145

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
            Peggy
            I used your link and went to your site,
            and it appeared to be centered on my computer screen.
            My display resolution is 1280 x 960 on a 20 inch StarLogic flat screen.

            I think that centering has already been accomplished.
            It just may not appear that way on your screen.

            If you plug your code into an editor, like Dreamweaver MX, FrontPage, or GoLive; you may be able to adjust the page centering, using the image or text alignment options of the editor you're using.

            Most coders prefer to use simple text editors, instead; because of
            the control they have during the page construction.

            I suspect there are others on this forum that would have a better
            answer than mine; but I thought I'd let you know what I saw, anyway.

            Shobuz99

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
              2008/8/12 Peggy <ygroups@...>:
              > I'm working on my website and I'm having issues with my style sheet.
              > I'm trying to center my site on the page but it's not working. Here's
              > what my ss looks like at the moment.

              > body {text-align: center;}
              > .wrapper {position: relative; width: 760px; margin: 6 auto;
              > text-align: left; visibility: show;}
              >
              > The URL for it is http://jabae.com
              >
              > Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

              It looks centered to me. Do you mean justified?
              Dp.
            • Charlene Reese
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
                I have a website where my client wants to have a form that I will
                create react a particular way.

                1. It will have about 30 questions
                2. all questions will have either a yes or no answer
                3. At the end when the submit button is pushed, based on simple
                addition of the no answers, if there are between say 0-10 nos then one
                answer is displayed on the resulting thank you web page. There will be
                4 possible answers. Also, the answers all need to be emailed to my
                client along with the person's name and email address. I can set up
                the emailing part and the form.
                I just need the addition of nos, that loads one of the four possible
                results pages code done.

                Anyone interested?

                Email me at:
                thewebmaster(at symbol)reesestudio.net
              • Margaret Hickingbottom
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
                  I got this issue fixed. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it to
                  work in IE. Probably a menu problem.

                  thanks
                • mohamed Isifan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                    before the body tag put this tag

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                      > issues
                      > Posted by: "Peggy" ygroups@... duosjabae
                      > Date: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:23 pm ((PDT))
                      >
                      > I'm working on my website and I'm having issues with my style sheet.
                      > I'm trying to center my site on the page but it's not working. Here's
                      > what my ss looks like at the moment.

                      > body {text-align: center;}
                      > .wrapper {position: relative; width: 760px; margin: 6 auto;
                      > text-align: left; visibility: show;}
                      >
                      > The URL for it is http://jabae.com
                      >
                      > Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

                      1. Looks fine here in Firefox 2.0.0.16, Opera 9.51, Konqueror 3.5.5, all
                      on openSUSE 10.2/x64.

                      2. Next time, *please* use a more descriptive subject than "Issues"!

                      3. This list is primarily concerned with JavaScript, not CSS.

                      cheers

                      j.

                      --
                      This message has not been scanned for viruses.

                      Since I do not use a Microsoft operating
                      system or software, and use only plaintext
                      for email, there is little need for me to do so.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                        Also looks good in IE6.

                        Try removing temporary files and then re-displaying.

                        And, yes, this is a CSS problem, not JavaScript.

                        --Tim Sabin

                        > > issues
                        > > Posted by: "Peggy" ygroups@... duosjabae
                        > > Date: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:23 pm ((PDT))
                        > >
                        > > I'm working on my website and I'm having issues with my style
                        sheet.
                        > > I'm trying to center my site on the page but it's not working.
                        Here's
                        > > what my ss looks like at the moment.

                        > > body {text-align: center;}
                        > > .wrapper {position: relative; width: 760px; margin: 6 auto;
                        > > text-align: left; visibility: show;}
                        > >
                        > > The URL for it is http://jabae.com
                        > >
                        > > Any ideas on what's wrong with it?
                        >
                        > 1. Looks fine here in Firefox 2.0.0.16, Opera 9.51, Konqueror 3.5.5,
                        all
                        > on openSUSE 10.2/x64.
                        >
                        > 2. Next time, *please* use a more descriptive subject than "Issues"!
                        >
                        > 3. This list is primarily concerned with JavaScript, not CSS.
                        >
                        > cheers
                        >
                        > j.
                        > >

                        > --
                        > This message has not been scanned for viruses.
                        >
                        > Since I do not use a Microsoft operating
                        > system or software, and use only plaintext
                        > for email, there is little need for me to do so.

                      • Jenny Gilbert
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                          Check out this new website: www.sricertificates.com

                          Tim Sabin <tim@...> wrote: Also looks good in IE6.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                            I appologize for bothering you guys but the description of the group
                            **does** say css on it.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                              No, no, no.

                              This may work, but it *definitely* is incorrect.

                              The format of an HTML page is:
                              <head>
                              </head>

                              (check w3.org for the HTML specification)

                              If you're going to use <center> (which is deprecated; that's why CSS was
                              invented), you put <center> JUST INSIDE <body>:

                              --Tim Sabin

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                                For whatever reason, my posts are moderated so they come several hours
                                after i post them.

                                I got both issues fixed thank you all for your helpful advice.
                              • mohamed Isifan
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                                  Hi
                                  you are right the center tag must be after body tag

                                  mohamed Isifan wrote:
                                  > before the body tag put this tag

                                • Lavenia Stewart
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
                                    peggy,

                                    your text is inside the wrapper and so it's going to
                                    inherit the dimensions of the wrapper. Inside the wrapper you should
                                    have a container div and inside the container, you'll have a div for
                                    your nav, a div for your textBox, and these will have their own styles
                                    instead of the 760 width that the overall document has.

                                    wrapper
                                    container
                                    nav
                                    body
                                    form
                                    footer

                                    this
                                    way you specify the style e.g. width, and use your padding and margins
                                    to control the look of your text, instead of the wrapper style
                                    dictating each.
                                    lavenia