issues

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
      I'm working on my website and I'm having issues with my style sheet.
      I'm trying to center my site on the page but it's not working. Here's
      what my ss looks like at the moment.

      body {text-align: center;}
      .wrapper {position: relative; width: 760px; margin: 6 auto;
      text-align: left; visibility: show;}

      The URL for it is http://jabae.com

      Any ideas on what's wrong with it?
    • Jennifer Stine
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
        It is centering just fine when I look at it. I checked in both Firefox and
        IE. Could it be that you are looking at it with a screen resolution right
        around the 760px mark and you cannot tell that it is centering?

        Jennifer

        On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Peggy <ygroups@...> wrote:

        > I'm working on my website and I'm having issues with my style sheet.
        > I'm trying to center my site on the page but it's not working. Here's
        > what my ss looks like at the moment.

        > body {text-align: center;}
        > .wrapper {position: relative; width: 760px; margin: 6 auto;
        > text-align: left; visibility: show;}
        >
        > The URL for it is http://jabae.com
        >
        > Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

      • leo petty
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
          Hi,

          I saw your site. It is in the center. I did not see anything wrong there

          Andys L.J Sundaypink

          Blogs
          http://bourneaisyah.wordpress.com

          http://bourneaisyah.multiply.com

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
            The text-align on the body will not work. What you need to do is in the
            wrapper. This should be an id rather than a class because there should be
            only one on any single page. The code for this would be:

            div#wrapper {

            width:760px;

            margin-left:auto;

            margin-right:auto;

            }

            The trick to centering the wrapper is in setting both margin-left and
            margin-right to auto. You can also set other attributes such as a
            background color and a border to the div if you wish.

            Gail
            Gail W. Issen
            www.docsandmore.com <http://www.docsandmore.com/>
            Tel: 713-721-6868
            Cell: 713-501-2302
            Fax: 713-721-0145

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
              Peggy
              I used your link and went to your site,
              and it appeared to be centered on my computer screen.
              My display resolution is 1280 x 960 on a 20 inch StarLogic flat screen.

              I think that centering has already been accomplished.
              It just may not appear that way on your screen.

              If you plug your code into an editor, like Dreamweaver MX, FrontPage, or GoLive; you may be able to adjust the page centering, using the image or text alignment options of the editor you're using.

              Most coders prefer to use simple text editors, instead; because of
              the control they have during the page construction.

              I suspect there are others on this forum that would have a better
              answer than mine; but I thought I'd let you know what I saw, anyway.

              Shobuz99

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
                2008/8/12 Peggy <ygroups@...>:
                > I'm working on my website and I'm having issues with my style sheet.
                > I'm trying to center my site on the page but it's not working. Here's
                > what my ss looks like at the moment.

                > body {text-align: center;}
                > .wrapper {position: relative; width: 760px; margin: 6 auto;
                > text-align: left; visibility: show;}
                >
                > The URL for it is http://jabae.com
                >
                > Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

                It looks centered to me. Do you mean justified?
                Dp.
              • Charlene Reese
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
                  I have a website where my client wants to have a form that I will
                  create react a particular way.

                  1. It will have about 30 questions
                  2. all questions will have either a yes or no answer
                  3. At the end when the submit button is pushed, based on simple
                  addition of the no answers, if there are between say 0-10 nos then one
                  answer is displayed on the resulting thank you web page. There will be
                  4 possible answers. Also, the answers all need to be emailed to my
                  client along with the person's name and email address. I can set up
                  the emailing part and the form.
                  I just need the addition of nos, that loads one of the four possible
                  results pages code done.

                  Anyone interested?

                  Email me at:
                  thewebmaster(at symbol)reesestudio.net
                • Margaret Hickingbottom
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
                    I got this issue fixed. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it to
                    work in IE. Probably a menu problem.

                    thanks
                  • mohamed Isifan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                      before the body tag put this tag

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                        > issues
                        > Posted by: "Peggy" ygroups@... duosjabae
                        > Date: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:23 pm ((PDT))
                        >
                        > I'm working on my website and I'm having issues with my style sheet.
                        > I'm trying to center my site on the page but it's not working. Here's
                        > what my ss looks like at the moment.

                        > body {text-align: center;}
                        > .wrapper {position: relative; width: 760px; margin: 6 auto;
                        > text-align: left; visibility: show;}
                        >
                        > The URL for it is http://jabae.com
                        >
                        > Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

                        1. Looks fine here in Firefox 2.0.0.16, Opera 9.51, Konqueror 3.5.5, all
                        on openSUSE 10.2/x64.

                        2. Next time, *please* use a more descriptive subject than "Issues"!

                        3. This list is primarily concerned with JavaScript, not CSS.

                        cheers

                        j.

                        --
                        This message has not been scanned for viruses.

                        Since I do not use a Microsoft operating
                        system or software, and use only plaintext
                        for email, there is little need for me to do so.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                          Also looks good in IE6.

                          Try removing temporary files and then re-displaying.

                          And, yes, this is a CSS problem, not JavaScript.

                          --Tim Sabin

                          > > issues
                          > > Posted by: "Peggy" ygroups@... duosjabae
                          > > Date: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:23 pm ((PDT))
                          > >
                          > > I'm working on my website and I'm having issues with my style
                          sheet.
                          > > I'm trying to center my site on the page but it's not working.
                          Here's
                          > > what my ss looks like at the moment.

                          > > body {text-align: center;}
                          > > .wrapper {position: relative; width: 760px; margin: 6 auto;
                          > > text-align: left; visibility: show;}
                          > >
                          > > The URL for it is http://jabae.com
                          > >
                          > > Any ideas on what's wrong with it?
                          >
                          > 1. Looks fine here in Firefox 2.0.0.16, Opera 9.51, Konqueror 3.5.5,
                          all
                          > on openSUSE 10.2/x64.
                          >
                          > 2. Next time, *please* use a more descriptive subject than "Issues"!
                          >
                          > 3. This list is primarily concerned with JavaScript, not CSS.
                          >
                          > cheers
                          >
                          > j.
                          > >

                          > --
                          > This message has not been scanned for viruses.
                          >
                          > Since I do not use a Microsoft operating
                          > system or software, and use only plaintext
                          > for email, there is little need for me to do so.

                        • Jenny Gilbert
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                            Check out this new website: www.sricertificates.com

                            Tim Sabin <tim@...> wrote: Also looks good in IE6.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                              I appologize for bothering you guys but the description of the group
                              **does** say css on it.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                                No, no, no.

                                This may work, but it *definitely* is incorrect.

                                The format of an HTML page is:
                                <head>
                                </head>

                                (check w3.org for the HTML specification)

                                If you're going to use <center> (which is deprecated; that's why CSS was
                                invented), you put <center> JUST INSIDE <body>:

                                --Tim Sabin

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                                  For whatever reason, my posts are moderated so they come several hours
                                  after i post them.

                                  I got both issues fixed thank you all for your helpful advice.
                                • mohamed Isifan
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                                    Hi
                                    you are right the center tag must be after body tag

                                    mohamed Isifan wrote:
                                    > before the body tag put this tag

                                  • Lavenia Stewart
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
                                      peggy,

                                      your text is inside the wrapper and so it's going to
                                      inherit the dimensions of the wrapper. Inside the wrapper you should
                                      have a container div and inside the container, you'll have a div for
                                      your nav, a div for your textBox, and these will have their own styles
                                      instead of the 760 width that the overall document has.

                                      wrapper
                                      container
                                      nav
                                      body
                                      form
                                      footer

                                      this
                                      way you specify the style e.g. width, and use your padding and margins
                                      to control the look of your text, instead of the wrapper style
                                      dictating each.
                                      lavenia