i need the javascript program

  • @,@
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
      hi

      i want to install  java script  program, which program can i use and how can i start

    • Gail Issen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
        Hello,

        JavaScript is not a program that you can install. It is code that you write
        . just as you write html code. You can write JavaScript with a simple text
        editor such as Notepad. I suggest that you buy a book on JavaScript and work
        your way through it. One book that is easy to go through is Sams Teach
        Yourself JavaScript in 24 Hours. The book is divided into 24 chapters, each
        of which will teach you a JavaScript skill.

        JavaScript is a lot of fun. Enjoy learning it.

        Gail
        Gail W. Issen
        www.docsandmore.com <http://www.docsandmore.com/>
        Tel: 713-721-6868
        Cell: 713-501-2302
        Fax: 713-721-0145

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
          JavaScript is implemented by all the major browsers. All you need to do
          is put your JavaScript between <script type="text/javascript"> and
          </script> tags. To debug, temporarily sprinkle your code with alert boxes.

          --Tim Sabin

          @,@ wrote:
          > hi
          >
          > i want to install java script program, which program can i use and how can i start

        • Paul Jinks
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2008
            On Thu, July 10, 2008 1:28 am, Tim Sabin wrote:
            > JavaScript is implemented by all the major browsers. All you need to do
            > is put your JavaScript between <script type="text/javascript"> and
            > </script> tags. To debug, temporarily sprinkle your code with alert boxes.
            >
            > --Tim Sabin...

            ...also get Firefox, and use the Error Console (Tools>Error Console) -
            it's more user friendly than IE.

            And you may find w3schools useful:
            http://www.w3schools.com/JS/default.asp

            Good luck

            Paul

            > @,@ wrote:
            >> hi
            >>
            >> i want to install java script program, which program can i use and how
            >> can i start

          • Michael Horowitz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2008
              True but shouldn't javascript be included in external js files rather
              than placed directly on the html page?

              Tim Sabin wrote:

              > JavaScript is implemented by all the major browsers. All you need to do
              > is put your JavaScript between <script type="text/javascript"> and
              > </script> tags. To debug, temporarily sprinkle your code with alert boxes.
              >
              > --Tim Sabin
              >
              > @,@ wrote:
              > > hi
              > >
              > > i want to install java script program, which program can i use and
              > how can i start

            • Gail Issen
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2008
                You can place your javascript in an external js file and link to it; or, you
                can place it directly on your html page. I think that the issue is probably
                how often you will be using the code. If you will be using javascript
                functions on many pages, it is more efficient to put them on a js page.
                Otherwise, it really doesn't matter.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 10, 2008
                  I wouldn't use the word "should" ...

                  If the code is to be common to multiple pages, then it needs to be in
                  external JS files.

                  Otherwise, it is personal preference whether it goes into external JS files
                  or is simply in the HTML file.

                  My preference is to keep simple stuff in the HTML file - particularly when
                  it's completely page-specific. It's one less file to load, and also one
                  less file to open in the editor.

                  That said, I do create a lot of common procedures and also extend the
                  standard classes wherever I can. Those live in JS files and my
                  page-specific code tends to be fairly high level.