Re: [JavaScript] how to kill a session

  • Jonas Raoni
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2007
      On 1/13/07, anji 4u <anji4u_19@...> wrote:
      > this is anji... i am joined in this gruop..
      >
      > my query is how to kill a session in javascript or jsp.. plz send me information..

      Your question doesn't make sense.

      If you want to know how to kill a session on XYZ language, ask on the XYZ forum.
      JavaScript doesn't have a session.

      If your language has a cookie based session, then you can delete the
      cookie that contains the session id through JavaScript, but you have
      to know the name of the cookie where it's stored.

      --
      Jonas Raoni Soares Silva
      http://www.jsfromhell.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2007
        From: Emma De Bruin

        Hi, I'm new to this group and frightfully ignorant in Java Script. I do
        know that I want to do, but am unsure of how to do it, so if anyone was
        willing to take a JS youngling under their wing I'd be most grateful.
        Anyways my first of many questions is, what exactly is a cron, and do you
        have to link it to a JS or PHP for it to work. I've checked out the cron
        page on my host, and know that you can set it to run at certain times ect.
        but set what to run I am unsure. Please advise!!!

        Emma
        ----------------------------
        Cron or Crontab is a serverside system timer that can execute serverside
        scripts such as PHP, CGI, Bash at predetermined intervals.
        Cron cannot execute Javascript as Javascript is a client side language that
        executes in the browser.
        If you want to know more about CRON then please ask in PHP list group.
        I am happy to answer any JavaScript questions you may have.

        Thanks, Rob M.
      • Jonas Raoni
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2007
          On 1/14/07, Emma De Bruin <e@...> wrote:
          > Hi, I'm new to this group and frightfully ignorant in Java Script. I do
          > know that I want to do, but am unsure of how to do it, so if anyone was
          > willing to take a JS youngling under their wing I'd be most grateful.

          ^^

          > Anyways my first of many questions is, what exactly is a cron, and do you
          > have to link it to a JS or PHP for it to work. I've checked out the cron
          > page on my host, and know that you can set it to run at certain times ect.
          > but set what to run I am unsure. Please advise!!!

          "Cron" works like the "windows task scheduler", you specify a time
          interval and it runs the specified command as if it was in the shell.

          You don't need to use it, unless you have something that should be
          executed periodically, if you have a php script that generates static
          pages, it should be scheduled on the cron for example :)

          --
          Jonas Raoni Soares Silva
          http://www.jsfromhell.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2007
            A CRON job is similar to the Windows Task Scheduler where you can set a
            process to run at a designated date and time. The CRON process is set
            through your server Control Panel. I use a CRON process daily to remove
            excess records out of my database through a php page. I set the CRON
            process to open a php page at 3:00 AM each morning. Keep in mind a lot
            can go wrong with a cron process. As an example: the path to the file in
            connection with the sever CRON software. Also the server permission to
            the file you want to run. The server permission should be set to 777.
            If you need additional help, let me know. I have been setting up and
            using CRON for several years.
            Michael Pakay

            ***** Example of a my CRON file ******
            #!/usr/local/bin/php
            <?php
            $today = date('Y/m/d', mktime(0, 0, 0, date("m")-3, date("d"),
            date("Y")));
            $link = mysql_connect("localhost","MyUserName","MyPassword");

            mysql_select_db("creation_njcgl");
            $sql = mysql_query("DELETE FROM tblLogFile WHERE ActivityDate <=
            '$today'");
            $sql = mysql_query("DELETE FROM tblLogForm WHERE ActivityDate <=
            '$today'");
            mysql_close();

            print "Process Complete; Purge LogFile/LogForm.";
            ?>

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2007
              Emma,

              A CRON job is simply a job/program that has been scheduled for certain
              date(s) and time(s). On UNIX, the environment of a CRON job is very
              basic; almost everything has to be set up by the programmer. I don't
              know a way to interface JavaScript to CRON; I don't know PHP at all.
              However, in Java there are 2 classes that simulate CRON jobs, with the
              exception that they have full knowledge of everything in the Java
              program: Timer and TimerTask. Timer gets called from your application
              and sets up 1 or more TimerTask objects; TimerTask objects are the
              equivalent of CRON jobs. For more information, see the Javadoc API
              documentation at http://java.sun.com .

              --Tim Sabin