Re: [JavaScript] Page redirect

  • Ernesto Mendoza Blanco
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
      Form validation is easy with php, take this as an example:

      registration.php-----------
      <?php
      if($_POST['send']){
      $error = false;
      $name = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['name']); //always escape your
      vars
      $lastname = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['lastname']);
      if( empty($name) && empty($lastname) ){
      $error = 'Form incomplete!!';
      }else{
      mysql_query("INSERT INTO users VALUES('','$name','$lastname')");

      ?>
      <form name="registration" action="registration.php" method="post">
      <?php if($error): ?>
      <?php endif; ?>
      Name: <input type="text" name="name" /><br />
      Lastname: <input type="text" name="lastname" />
      <input type="submit" name="send" value="register" />
      </form>
      ----------------------------------

      You should validate your data in the server, not only with javascript.
      If you need further help with it, feel free to post your code so i can test
      it ;).

      Regards,

      --
      Ernesto

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
        That's why I made the distinction I did. You must VALIDATE the data - on
        the server - before putting it in the database. If the user has not
        provided a required field, simply bounce back to an error page. (You can
        also choose to CHECK the data - on the client - so that user errors will be
        reported without needing a round trip to the server to find out.)

        You don't need to be too "nice" about server side validation errors, either
        (e.g. trying to keep track of what they actually got right and pre-populate
        a new data entry screen). People who choose not to have JavaScript enabled
        are used to losing user assistance. Simply tell them on the error page that
        it would all work better with JavaScript enabled, then provide a link to go
        to a new copy of the data entry page, where they can start from scratch.

        If you stop your site from working without JavaScript enabled, then you will
        lose the people who choose to turn JavaScript off.

        > Actually I'm performing data checking. Making sure a user fills in all
        > required fields. My problem is this. When JavaScript is enabled and a
        > user does not fill in a required field, the JavaScript function will
        > warn the user and disable the button to append to the database. If
        > JavaScript is disabled, the database will be appended with potentially
        > useless information.I am in the process of redesigning my menus using
        > code from www.Milonic.com. This will disable my menu if JavaScript is
        > not enabled which will stop all database appends. Unfortunately this
        > will also render my site useless without JavaScript.
        >
        > I also tried
        > <noscript><meta http-equiv="refresh"
        > content="0;url=http://www.your-site.com/EnableJavaScript.html
        > <http://www.your-site.com/EnableJavaScript.html>"></noscript>
        > This works well in FireFox but produces an error with IE.
        >
        > Any ideas will be appreciated.

        > David Smart wrote:
        >>
        >> Are you saying that you are using JavaScript to validate data before
        >> using
        >> it on your server (e.g. to put it in a database)? Don't. There are always
        >> ways to circumvent this and the unscrupulous will do nasty things.
        >>
        >> Proper data validation (for your protection) MUST be done on your server.
        >>
        >> You can do data checking on the browser too (for the user) by all
        >> means. It
        >> is quicker and users will prefer it.
        >>
        >> Regards, Dave S

      • Jonas Raoni
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
          On 10/4/06, David Smart <smartware@...> wrote:
          > If you stop your site from working without JavaScript enabled, then you will
          > lose the people who choose to turn JavaScript off.

          Right, the web development isn't restricted to the web browsers we're
          used to see. There are so many devices ^^

          --
          Jonas Raoni Soares Silva
          http://www.jsfromhell.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
            Thank you David & Ernesto.

            I will add data checking on my php page as well as with the current
            JavaScript code. My original thought was to validate the data input
            prior to php. This obviously was not the best. In my php page if the
            data is not valid I will let the user know and redirect them back to the
            data import form.

            I will also do some reading on mysql_real_escape_string. I have not used
            this in the past.

            Thank you again for your help.