Re: [JavaScript] new user

  • Jay Lockie
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29 10:39 PM
      I recommend the following (in this order):
      1. Learning Web Design by Jennifer Niederst (O'Reilly) (HTML and Graphics)
      2. HTML for the World Wide Web by Elizabeth Castro (Visual Quickstart Guide - Peachpit Press)
      3. Javascript for the World Wide Wed by Tom Negrino and Dori Smith (VQG - Peachpit)
      4. DHTML and CSS for the WWW by Jason Cranford Teague (VQG - Peachpit)
      Note: The VQGs will get you started quickly, but it is sometimes hard to apply the examples to other applications because you really don't understand the whys.
      5. Google Search (about 90% of my questions have been answered, but it's a little like the dictionary - how do you find a word that you can't spell or if you don't know JS, what JS vocabulary best describes what you want to do?)
      6. JavaScript The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan (O'Reilly)
      7. JavaScript The Complete Reference by Powell and Schneider (Osborne)
      8. Advanced JavaScript by Dan Livingston (Prentice-Hall PTR)
      9. The Web Programmer' Desk Reference by Lazaro and Joseph Cohen (No Starch Press) This book has EVERYTHING you will ever need.
      10. Read this forum and question us when you've burned 2 days and are really stuck.
      11. Patience - JS is VERY syntax sensitive and fragile.
      12. Make frequent backups along the way in a BU folder, especially before you enter new territory with your JS code.
      If you have prior programming experience you might start with Flanagan to get the basic capabilities of JS then try the VQGs
      I was able to get most of these books USED at very reasonable prices at places like Amazon.
      Viva HTML, CSS, JS and XML. I just LOVE these languages after 35 frustrating years with Fortran, Macro Assembler, Interpreted Basic, Visual Basic, RPG, PROGRESS, you name it. I now have a great respect for those unnamed heroes who have designed and coded our Internet browsers.
      Good luck...

      tosh <toshi_singh2005@...> wrote:
      how to start learning Javascript.can u suggest some online tutorials
      or books to start as a begginer.