Re: [JavaScript] protecting my web site

  • Stephen Chapman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2006
      Only one way to do that - DON'T UPLOAD YOUR SITE TO THE INTERNET.

      To be able to see your web page other must first download all of the
      content of the page to their computer because that is where browsers
      display pages from. Once they already have a copy on their computer they
      can do what they like with it and no "protections" built inot the page
      (not even encrypting the page using a $200+ program) will stop them from
      being able to view the HTML.

      To protect your images you need to insert a watermark into the image
      itself that identifies your ownership of the image. That way if anyone
      does use the image somewhere else it is obvious who they stole it from.

      See http://javascript.about.com/od/problemsolving/a/encrypt.htm for more
      information.

      regards,
      Stephen Chapman

      Ask Felgall http://www.felgall.com/
      Focus on Javascript http://javascript.about.com/
      Steve's Railway pages http://rail.felgall.com/
      AMRA Inc http://www.amra.asn.au/

      Please check the security certificate attached to this email to confirm
      the identity of the sender.
      Get your own free email security certificate from
      <http://www.comodogroup.com/products/certificate_services/email_certificate.html>

      Note that emails more than 100k in size sent to this email address are
      automatically deleted. If you need to send me an attachment larger than
      this please contact me in advance to make alternate arrangements.

      srinath ramamoorthy wrote:

      >hi
      > im in the process of developing a web site
      > but i dont want anyone else to save the site.
      > or even use up the images i put up on the site.
      > i just want to disable the right click command as well as i dont want anyone to save my site into thier pcs.
      > does anyone in the group know how to get this done.??
      > help me out
      > sri

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Karthikeyan Vaithilingam
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2006
        Place oncontextmenu = return false in body this will disable the right click
        menu

        On 7/1/06, srinath ramamoorthy <web_hosting87@...> wrote:

        > hi
        > im in the process of developing a web site
        > but i dont want anyone else to save the site.
        > or even use up the images i put up on the site.
        > i just want to disable the right click command as well as i dont want
        > anyone to save my site into thier pcs.
        > does anyone in the group know how to get this done.??
        > help me out
        > sri

      • Pratibha Khankhoje
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2006
          u can use the javascript to disabel right click event.

          it is available on net.

          On 7/1/06, srinath ramamoorthy <web_hosting87@...> wrote:

          > hi
          > im in the process of developing a web site
          > but i dont want anyone else to save the site.
          > or even use up the images i put up on the site.
          > i just want to disable the right click command as well as i dont want
          > anyone to save my site into thier pcs.
          > does anyone in the group know how to get this done.??
          > help me out
          > sri

        • Nick Jones
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2006
            Personally, I would very much discourage using this trick. Not only is it highly annoying (and therefore drives traffic away from sites) but it is ineffective in discouraging the theft of images. If I really want someone's image on a page it is a trivial matter to get it, regardless of right-click disable scripts. Besides, many browsers (including Firefox) ignore such scripts anyway.

            If you really want to protect your images, create a single cell table with your image as a css-background property and fill the cell with a 1x1 clear gif stretched throughout the cell. This will prevent the casual image thieves from getting your pictures (but someone who can read the CSS will still have access without issue). Alternatively, cut your images into smaller pieces with Photoshop or whatever image editing program you prefer, and reassemble it using absolutely positioned <div> containers (the preferred method) or a border=0 table (will work as well). This way, if someone wants your image, they have to get each piece and reassemble it themselves.

            But no method is foolproof. If I really want to steal the images in the methods outlined above, I can read the CSS, retrieve them from the browser cache, or just take a screenshot and crop out the image I want to take from the page.

            Good luck,
            -Nick

            Pratibha Khankhoje <p.khankhoje@...> wrote: u can use the javascript to disabel right click event.

            it is available on net.

            On 7/1/06, srinath ramamoorthy <web_hosting87@...> wrote:

            > hi
            > im in the process of developing a web site
            > but i dont want anyone else to save the site.
            > or even use up the images i put up on the site.
            > i just want to disable the right click command as well as i dont want
            > anyone to save my site into thier pcs.
            > does anyone in the group know how to get this done.??
            > help me out
            > sri

            Personally, I would very much discourage using he right-click disable.

          • f3l
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2006
              On 6/30/06, srinath ramamoorthy <web_hosting87@...> wrote:

              > hi
              > im in the process of developing a web site

              cogratulations!

              > but i dont want anyone else to save the site.

              too bad that's not the way the NEt works....

              > or even use up the images i put up on the site.

              there is a technology called HotLink, however, they may just do a
              "Print Screen".

              > i just want to disable the right click command as well

              that's easy, but it wont protect your page from the ultimate command: ctrl+s

              >as i dont want anyone to save my site into thier pcs.

              how about a java applet, that secretly loads a page inside the the applet?

              > does anyone in the group know how to get this done.??
              > help me out
              > sri

              there are many people in the Net, these eople have all different kinds
              of knowledge, you can protect your content from the n00bs (90%?), by
              disabling right click, and some server side tricks, but there is the
              other 9%, that know how stuff works, and if your conntent is good
              enough (trust me, there are better sites, no matter how good is, and
              better content, for free out there, so pretecting your litle secrets
              is useless (and futile).), and can go arround silly security measures
              like the ones javascript provides.

              and there is that 1% that you just cannot protect against, no matter
              how hard you try.

              the question is: is 99% enough?
              if that's so, go JS, (but remember, images still show that litle Disk
              image on top hen hovered over, that allows the dumbest user to
              download them easily, so use CSS backgrounds,which are still
              stealable, but not no easily so.)

              there is no such thing as 100% security.

              //f3l
              there seems to be quite a debate, on wether linux is a toaster, or a
              unix clone...
            • Tom Stillman
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2006
                ...and we're not intellectual property lawyers. There
                are some circles in the computer world that would find
                this idea highly offensive.

                I hope the original poster is using a full-paid
                version of Windows and not any freeware like UNIX or
                Linux.

                Tom Stillman

                --- Karthikeyan Vaithilingam <seenukarthi@...>
                wrote:

                > Place oncontextmenu = return false in body this will
                > disable the right click
                > menu
                >
                > On 7/1/06, srinath ramamoorthy
                > <web_hosting87@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > hi
                > > im in the process of developing a web site
                > > but i dont want anyone else to save the site.
                > > or even use up the images i put up on the site.
                > > i just want to disable the right click command as
                > well as i dont want
                > > anyone to save my site into thier pcs.
                > > does anyone in the group know how to get this
                > done.??
                > > help me out
                > > sri

                > removed]

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • sundara Moorthy
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
                  hi srinath,

                  Here i attach this code for prtect right click on your site i think this help to u just test this and use ok.bye

                  i want to ask another quest r u tamil person? b's i m also tamil person .i ask this for just for friendship ok.don't take mistaken.

                  If any doubt u ask, i will try to clear that.

                  with regards,
                  sundar

                  srinath ramamoorthy <web_hosting87@...> wrote:
                  hi
                  im in the process of developing a web site
                  but i dont want anyone else to save the site.
                  or even use up the images i put up on the site.
                  i just want to disable the right click command as well as i dont want anyone to save my site into thier pcs.
                  does anyone in the group know how to get this done.??
                  help me out
                  sri

                  ----------

                  <!--
                  ----------------
                  EXAMPLE
                  ----------------
                  This Example gives you a clear cut idea of the sequence of tags in html page

                  <head>
                  place the script here
                  </head>
                  -->

                  <head>

                  <!-- Script begins next line -->

                  <script language="javascript">
                  //*******************************
                  //*Disable Right Click on a browser
                  //*Made available by http://www.anandsoft.com
                  //*Written by Ravi Shankar Bhatia
                  //*The above information may not be removed ..For help please email: info@...
                  //********************************/
                  PopUpURL = "The right click options are disabled for this window";

                  isIE=document.all;
                  isNN=!document.all&&document.getElementById;
                  isN4=document.layers;

                  if (isIE||isNN)
                  {
                  document.oncontextmenu=checkV;
                  }
                  else
                  {
                  document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN || Event.MOUSEUP);
                  document.onmousedown=checkV;
                  }

                  function checkV(e)
                  {
                  if (isN4)
                  {
                  if (e.which==2||e.which==3)
                  {
                  dPUW=alert(PopUpURL);
                  return false;
                  else
                  {
                  dPUW=alert(PopUpURL);
                  return false;

                  <!-- End of Script -->

                  </head>
                  <center>
                  <b>
                  This is an example for disabling right click.<br>Right click on this page to test it
                  </b>
                  </center>

                • maartenvanthiel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 5, 2006
                    I think disabling right click is a bad thing. There are more things in
                    the right click menu.

                    Apart from that, disabled right click can be disabled itself by
                    clicking left + right and then releasing left.

                    Maarten

                    --- In JavaScript_Official@yahoogroups.com, sundara Moorthy
                    <sundar11love@...> wrote:

                    > hi srinath,
                    >
                    > Here i attach this code for prtect right click on
                    your site i think this help to u just test this and use ok.bye

                    > i want to ask another quest r u tamil person? b's i m
                    also tamil person .i ask this for just for friendship ok.don't take
                    mistaken.

                    > If any doubt u ask, i will try to clear that.

                    with regards,

                    sundar
                  • Jonas Raoni
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5, 2006
                      On 7/5/06, maartenvanthiel <m.v.thiel@...> wrote:
                      > I think disabling right click is a bad thing. There are more things in
                      > the right click menu.

                      The browser should not be controled by the programmer, that's a
                      "desktop programming" mind which doesn't work well on the web
                      environment. Despite that, everything that is on the web is acessible,
                      I don't even need a browser to grab the contents I want.

                      --
                      Jonas Raoni Soares Silva
                      http://www.jsfromhell.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 5, 2006
                        On 7/5/06, Jonas Raoni <jonasraoni@...> wrote:

                        > On 7/5/06, maartenvanthiel <m.v.thiel@... <m.v.thiel%40planet.nl>>
                        > wrote:
                        > > I think disabling right click is a bad thing. There are more things in
                        > > the right click menu.
                        >
                        > The browser should not be controled by the programmer, that's a
                        > "desktop programming" mind which doesn't work well on the web
                        > environment. Despite that, everything that is on the web is acessible,

                        I don't even need a browser to grab the contents I want.

                        yeah, like, we dont wanna leave out the (small, very small) percentage of
                        users that enter our website, using telnet-to-port-80 (or lynx, links,
                        elinks, whatever)

                        --