Layers on top of objects does not work properly in I.E.

  • Jose Luis Leviaguirre
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hello and happy new year to you all.

      Is there any way to put a layer (div) on top of a
      frameset object or to put a layer on top of a select
      object (in IE)?

      The select box in IE overlaps the frameset (but not
      with the div layer
      object). Why and how to make the div layer to overlap
      frameset? Just
      like with the select.

      Another big mystery is how the select object remains
      always on top of
      any layer (or object) in IE but not in Opera or
      Firefox.

      It is easier to demonstrate than to explain. Here is
      my code:

      Click on the select control on the upper left
      frame and see how overlaps the frameset. Now roll over
      the link in that
      same frame and see how the layer (div element) hides
      under the other frames. Also note how the select is
      always on top of
      myLayer when using only IE.

      code for the framset.htm
      ---------------------
      <frameset cols="104,*" rows="88,*">
      <frame src="myTooltip.htm" marginheight="50%,*" />
      <frame src="myTooltip.htm" marginheight="50%,*" />
      <frame src="myTooltip.htm" marginheight="50%,*" />
      <frame src="myTooltip.htm" marginheight="50%,*" />
      </frameset>
      <noframes></noframes>

      code for myTooltip.htm
      ---------------------
      onmouseover="myLayer.style.display='block'"
      onmouseout="myLayer.style.display='none'">show
      layer</a>

      display:block; left: 31px; top: 6px;
      background-color:#FFFFCC" >
      something here<br />
      I want this to be viewable and readable<br />
      In order to do so, I need this layer <br />
      to be on top of all frames </td>

      <select>
      <option>something</option>
      <option>like this</option>
      <option>select control</option>
      <option>that overlaps</option>
      <option>the frameset</option>
      <option>window</option>
      <option></option>
      </select>

      Click on the select control on the upper left
      frame and see how overlaps the frameset. Now roll over
      the link in that
      same frame and see how the layer (div element) hides
      under the other frames. Also note how the select is
      always on top of
      myLayer when using only IE.

      __________________________________

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com
    • Jonas Raoni
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
        2006/1/5, Jose Luis Leviaguirre <jleviaguirre1@...>:
        > Hello and happy new year to you all.

        Happy new year :D

        > Is there any way to put a layer (div) on top of a
        > frameset object or to put a layer on top of a select
        > object (in IE)?

        Just with an iframe and you also can hide the select, as shown here
        http://jsfromhell.com/geral/hittest/example =/

        --
        Jonas Raoni Soares Silva
        http://www.jsfromhell.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
          Hi Luis,

          Did you manage to find a solution to your question? I m having the same
          problem and unfortunately I cannot get a DIV to overlap a frameset ....

          On 1/5/06, Jose Luis Leviaguirre <jleviaguirre1@...> wrote:

          > Hello and happy new year to you all.
          >
          > Is there any way to put a layer (div) on top of a
          > frameset object or to put a layer on top of a select
          > object (in IE)?
          >
          > The select box in IE overlaps the frameset (but not
          > with the div layer
          > object). Why and how to make the div layer to overlap
          > frameset? Just
          > like with the select.
          >
          > Another big mystery is how the select object remains
          > always on top of
          > any layer (or object) in IE but not in Opera or
          > Firefox.
          >
          > It is easier to demonstrate than to explain. Here is
          > my code:
          >
          > Click on the select control on the upper left
          > frame and see how overlaps the frameset. Now roll over
          > the link in that
          > same frame and see how the layer (div element) hides
          > under the other frames. Also note how the select is
          > always on top of
          > myLayer when using only IE.
          >
          > code for the framset.htm
          > ---------------------
          > <frameset cols="104,*" rows="88,*">
          > <frame src="myTooltip.htm" marginheight="50%,*" />
          > <frame src="myTooltip.htm" marginheight="50%,*" />
          > <frame src="myTooltip.htm" marginheight="50%,*" />
          > <frame src="myTooltip.htm" marginheight="50%,*" />
          > </frameset>
          > <noframes></noframes>
          >

          > code for myTooltip.htm
          > ---------------------
          > onmouseover="myLayer.style.display='block'"
          > onmouseout="myLayer.style.display='none'">show
          > layer</a>

          > display:block; left: 31px; top: 6px;
          > background-color:#FFFFCC" >
          > something here<br />
          > I want this to be viewable and readable<br />
          > In order to do so, I need this layer <br />
          > to be on top of all frames </td>
          >
          > <select>
          > <option>something</option>
          > <option>like this</option>
          > <option>select control</option>
          > <option>that overlaps</option>
          > <option>the frameset</option>
          > <option>window</option>
          > <option></option>
          > </select>
          >
          > Click on the select control on the upper left
          > frame and see how overlaps the frameset. Now roll over
          > the link in that
          > same frame and see how the layer (div element) hides
          > under the other frames. Also note how the select is
          > always on top of
          > myLayer when using only IE.
          >

          > __________________________________
          > http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/

          > Yahoo! DSL � Something to write home about.
          > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          > dsl.yahoo.com

        • Jonas Raoni
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
            On 3/24/06, George Georgiou <george1977@...> wrote:
            > Did you manage to find a solution to your question? I m having the same
            > problem and unfortunately I cannot get a DIV to overlap a frameset ....

            This is impossible, you can only simulate by duplicating the node into
            the other document and then set its position to match the other half
            :b

            --
            Jonas Raoni Soares Silva
            http://www.jsfromhell.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 25, 2006
              On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:23:02 -0500, Jonas Raoni <jonasraoni@...>
              wrote:

              > you can only simulate by duplicating the node into
              > the other document and then set its position to match the other half

              maybe using an IFRAME, have anyone tryied that?
              ilke:

              main page
              contains: div (id1) AND iframe(sub page)
              sub page
              contains the current frameset, and all that stuff

              in the sub page, you have a script like
              parent.top.window.document.getElementById('id1'). blah blah blah

              would that work?

              --
              /f3l