Calling setTimeout from a prototyped function

  • khing2
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      I am wondering if someone has a workaround for this. here is the idea.

      function myobject(){
      this.myobjectproperty = myobjectproperty
      }

      myobject.prototype.incrument = function(){
      this.myobjectproperty++
      window.setTimeout("uncrument()",1000)
      }

      what i have been trying to do is run a setTimeout from a prototyped
      function.. i am not sure what to do...

      I am also wondering how to do a setTimeout for a function that has an
      object as an argument. Any ideas??
    • Garvin Casimir
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
        I found 2 links discussing this very topic and related
        topics. Here they are for those interested.

        http://www.codingforums.com/archive/index.php/index.php?t-10531.html

        http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/501a015eca1f6834/3540602f351a7f8%233540602f351a7f8?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=3

        --- khing2 <khing2@...> wrote:

        > I am wondering if someone has a workaround for this.
        > here is the idea.
        >
        > function myobject(){
        > this.myobjectproperty = myobjectproperty
        > }
        >
        > myobject.prototype.incrument = function(){
        > this.myobjectproperty++
        > window.setTimeout("uncrument()",1000)
        > }
        >
        > what i have been trying to do is run a setTimeout
        > from a prototyped
        > function.. i am not sure what to do...
        >
        > I am also wondering how to do a setTimeout for a
        > function that has an
        > object as an argument. Any ideas??

        HTTP://SILASCO.SYTES.NET/

        __________________________________
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • khing2
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
          here is what i came up with based on info i got from the links

          <head>

          <script type="text/javascript">
          function myobject(){
          this.myobjectproperty = 0
          this.prefix = null
          }

          myobject.prototype.step = function step(){
          this.myobjectproperty++
          //innerHTML used only in the interest of time. w3C dom solution
          preferred
          //document.body.insertAdjacentHTML
          ("beforeEnd","<br>"+this.prefix+" "+this.myobjectproperty)
          document.body.innerHTML+="<br>"+this.prefix+" "+this.myobjectproperty
          //adding your suggestion

          if(!this.fcall){
          var _this = this
          this.fcall = function() { _this.step()}
          this.objtimer = window.setInterval (this.fcall, 1000);
          }
          if(this.myobjectproperty == 10){window.clearInterval(this.objtimer)}

          <script>
          objinstance1 = new myobject()
          objinstance2 = new myobject()
          objinstance3 = new myobject()