Re: Re: Help with ReadURL method

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30 9:48 PM
      That page uses JavaScript to manipulate a Java applet. As it says on the page,
      you can't read files using JavaScript alone.

      My guess is that FP doesn't recognise methods of the ReadURL class created by
      the applet, since they're not part of the DOM.

      <applet name="ReadURL" code="ReadURL.class"> -> document.applets.ReadURL or
      document.ReadURL for short

      This is a JavaScript representation of a Java class named ReadURL, instantiated
      via an <applet> tag in a Web page. The methods of the Java class become
      available as methods of the JavaObject instance document.applets.ReadURL (aka
      document.ReadURL).

      FP likely doesn't know how to deal with this.

      FP's poor handling of JavaScript generally and its propensity for rearranging JS
      code to suit itself are just two of the reasons I quit using it ages ago, even
      when I still did most of my work on Windows. Do yourself a favour, and ditch it.
      You'll be better off with a good text editor. Or take a look at something like
      Bluefish (which I think is also available for Windows) or any of the other
      Free/Open Source authoring tools that are available. Try searching at
      SourceForge.net.

      Another approach to reading files from a Web server without reloading the page
      is via the XMLHttpRequest object. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX or the
      new DOM scripting book by Jeremy Keith that is soon to be published by Apress.
      (Disclaimer: I am the TR for this book.) Another source of info can be found at
      http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php. Advantages:
      You don't have to mess around with Java applets or ActiveX controls; supported
      by most modern browsers (with a few differences between the implementations).
      Disadvantages: Not always easy to make backwards compatible; some usability issues.

      > Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Pavan Kumar <pavanforfriends@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Help with ReadURL method
      >
      > Hi Jon, this is the URL to the webpage using document.ReadURL method:
      > http://www.javascripter.net/faq/reading2.htm
      >
      > I observed that when I search on google with 'document.ReadURL' string, this is the only website I get using this method.
      >
      > As far as FP is concerned, I just use it to make my life easy in creating webpages.. :o)
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Jon Stephens <jon@...> wrote:
      > I've never heard of any document.ReadURL.ReadFile() method before. Please post
      > the URL of the example you mentioned.
      >
      > As for FrontPage, this I've heard of before, and I'll forgo my usual rants about
      > it in favour of this very brief one: FP is utter crap, and a waste of time,
      > money, and disk space.
      >
      > cheers
      >
      > jon.
      >

      >>> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:48:23 -0000
      >>> From: "pavan" <pavanforfriends@...>
      >>> Subject: Help with ReadURL method
      >>>
      >>> Hi friends, I am trying to read a file from javascript and I came
      >>> across an example that uses document.ReadURL.ReadFile(theURL) method
      >>> to read a URL residing on the same server. I copied the code and
      >>> tried using it in one of the websites I am creating and it is not
      >>> working. When I copied this onto Microsoft frontpage, it is thorwing
      >>> an error 'document.ReadURL is null or not an object'. Could someone
      >>> please let me know what I need to do to make this work.
      >>>
      >>> Thanks! Pavan

    • Pavan Kumar
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        Thanks for the advice Jon and rest of the friends. I got tired of trying ReadURL and also, I had to complete website fast and I could not spend much time on it. I decided to use iframe instead. Might not work quiet the same way but makes life easy.

        Thanks! Pavan

        Jon Stephens <jon@...> wrote:
> [...]

        > the URL of the example you mentioned.
        >
        > As for FrontPage, this I've heard of before, and I'll forgo my usual rants about
        > it in favour of this very brief one: FP is utter crap, and a waste of time,
        > money, and disk space.
        >
        > cheers
        >
        > jon.
        >

        >>> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:48:23 -0000
        >>> From: "pavan" <pavanforfriends@...>
        >>> Subject: Help with ReadURL method
        >>>
        >>> Hi friends, I am trying to read a file from javascript and I came
        >>> across an example that uses document.ReadURL.ReadFile(theURL) method
        >>> to read a URL residing on the same server. I copied the code and
        >>> tried using it in one of the websites I am creating and it is not
        >>> working. When I copied this onto Microsoft frontpage, it is thorwing
        >>> an error 'document.ReadURL is null or not an object'. Could someone
        >>> please let me know what I need to do to make this work.

        C programming language Computer programming languages Java programming language The c programming language C programming language Concept of programming language