Re: Cookies, Form input

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2005
      Joe,

      This URL contains the JavaScript code needed to get and set cookies,
      among other things:
      http://www.webreference.com/js/column8/functions.html
      As far as displaying a cookie, you can do this:
      alert (getCookie ("myCookie"));
      This will put it in an "alert" popup box. You could also use "confirm"
      to put it in a confirm box, or "document.write" to re-write your HTML
      page. You could also do a submit and let the server handle it; in most
      cases, this is what I'd do.

      --Tim Sabin

      --- In javascript_official@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <bigjoe11a@y...>
      wrote:
      > I been trying to teach my self Javascript. well its worst then perl.
      >
      > any way.
      >
      > Not in my web site. just in some perl scripts that I have. It reads
      3
      > cookies.
      > name,email and password.
      > These are required for some parts of my scripts. Just not for My web
      > site. I want to change that. Sence I can't load a perl script from a
      > html page. I have no choose but to use Javascript.
      >
      > Can any one send me some samples of setting, getting, and displaying
      > cookies.
      >
      > Please try and make them simple. as possiable.
      >
      > Ok, heres my story. on my index.html page. I want to set up a
      > Javascript that will get 3 cookies, if they exist, it then creates
      the
      > use with the value in 'name'. if no cookies are fount. it calls a
      > function to asks for a name,email and a pssword. then it sets the
      > cookies onclick, and greets the user with there name.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Joe
    • Joe
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2005
        Hay, Thanks for the info, It's just that it doesn'y explan where the
        vars are comming from or how they are set.

        Heres the sample. how do you the domain, or the expires date, and so
        on. they don't tell me that.

        function setCookie(name, value, expires, path, domain, secure) {
        var curCookie = name + "=" + escape(value) +
        ((expires) ? "; expires=" + expires.toGMTString() : "") + #How
        do you set this
        ((path) ? "; path=" + path : "") + #How do you set this
        ((domain) ? "; domain=" + domain : "") + #How do you set this
        ((secure) ? "; secure" : ""); #Never needed it
        document.cookie = curCookie;

        Thanks

        Joe
        Thats why I was hoping it could get some one to send me a sample.

        --- In javascript_official@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <bigjoe11a@y...> wrote:
        > I been trying to teach my self Javascript. well its worst then perl.
        >
        > any way.
        >
        > Not in my web site. just in some perl scripts that I have. It reads 3
        > cookies.
        > name,email and password.
        > These are required for some parts of my scripts. Just not for My web
        > site. I want to change that. Sence I can't load a perl script from a
        > html page. I have no choose but to use Javascript.
        >
        > Can any one send me some samples of setting, getting, and displaying
        > cookies.
        >
        > Please try and make them simple. as possiable.
        >
        > Ok, heres my story. on my index.html page. I want to set up a
        > Javascript that will get 3 cookies, if they exist, it then creates the
        > use with the value in 'name'. if no cookies are fount. it calls a
        > function to asks for a name,email and a pssword. then it sets the
        > cookies onclick, and greets the user with there name.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Joe
      • Joe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2005
          Hi! Tim, again thanks, its just I can't get any thing to work, I can
          get a session cookie to work, its just when I want to set the domain
          and path, well it doesn't work.

          Let me give you an idea on what I'm trying to do.

          On my main Page (index.htm) I have a a button.

          <FORM>
          <input type=button value="Registering" onclick="SetCookie">
          </FORM>

          as you know this calls a function (SetCookie), Heres me code

          <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
          function SetCookie()
          {
          // get the information
          //
          var the_name = prompt("What's your name?","");
          var the_date = new Date("December 31, 2023");
          var the_cookie_date = the_date.toGMTString();
          var the_path = the_cookie + "path=/;";
          var the_domain = the_cookie + "domain=www.joes-computer.com;";
          // build and save the cookie
          //
          var the_cookie = "my_cookie=" + escape(the_name);
          var the_cookie = the_cookie + ";expires=" + the_cookie_date +
          ";domain=" + the_domain;
          document.cookie = the_cookie;
          <!--
          Then I need it to repeat 2 more times for these vars
          var the_email = prompt("E-Mail Address :";"");
          var the_password = prompt("Password :";"");
          --!>
          alart("Registering Completed");

          }
          </SCRIPT>

          This should give you an idea on what I'm tring to do, and where to
          send me.