sliding puzzle for my students

  • one_sultrydiva@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2005
      I'd like for my (8th grade) students to make a sliding picture
      puzzle to put on their webs. The one I found is located at
      http://javascript.internet.com/games/picture-puzzle.html.

      The problem that I'm having is that I get two error messages. The
      first says that ')' is expected (line 375, char 75). The second says
      that 'puz' is undefined.(line 385 char 1)

      If I preview the page without trying to add my image, there are no
      error messages. How can I correct the problem? BTW, I know nothing
      about writing javascript, I just use those that are available.

      Thanks for any/all help.
    • Banwari Lal Sharma
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2005
        Hello,

        You have missed a ) , where u inserted your image:
        see at this line, you have done this
        puz = new Puzzle(100, 120, 'puz', 201, 201, '#ffcc00', "your_image.jpg";
        try this
        puz = new Puzzle(100, 120, 'puz', 201, 201, '#ffcc00', "your_image.jpg");

        your_image.jpg is the image used by you.

        Regards,

        --
        Banwari Lal Sharma,
        Software Developer,
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
          A bit curious. I have it working:
          1) without the 'slider-puzzle.js' file called for around line 377
          2) it is working for me on a (resized) jpg file

          You may want to include in a message the offending lines and a line
          or two above and below. From what I'm getting, we should be able to
          get it to work for you.

          Pete
        • Consuella E. Jackson
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
            I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Where did you put your picture? I assumed it went in place of (puzzle1.gif) in line 355.

            Thanks,
            Consuella

            Peter Gum <phgyh@...> wrote:

            A bit curious. I have it working:
            1) without the 'slider-puzzle.js' file called for around line 377
            2) it is working for me on a (resized) jpg file

            You may want to include in a message the offending lines and a line
            or two above and below. From what I'm getting, we should be able to
            get it to work for you.

            Pete

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • one_sultrydiva@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
              Thanks for all the help!

              I inserted the picture and it works. Now, is there anyway to make the
              puzzle larger? (I've seen larger puzzles, but they demand the image
              be cut into several pictures and this one doesn't.)

              --- In javascript_official@yahoogroups.com, Banwari Lal Sharma
              <BanwariLS@g...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > You have missed a ) , where u inserted your image:
              > see at this line, you have done this
              > puz = new Puzzle(100, 120, 'puz', 201,
              201, '#ffcc00', "your_image.jpg";
              > try this
              > puz = new Puzzle(100, 120, 'puz', 201,
              201, '#ffcc00', "your_image.jpg");

              > your_image.jpg is the image used by you.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > --
              > Banwari Lal Sharma,
              > Software Developer,
              > Veracious Solutions Pvt. Ltd, Bhopal, India
              > www.vspl.net
            • Peter Gum
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
                Hi, Consuella

                First, here is an example of the script in action:

                http://www.hvraptors.com/hvpuz.htm

                An easy thing to do is save the above page and then change it to suit your
                needs.

                Notice I have made a few other changes to the script. Use "View Source" to
                see how things are set up.

                Notice this line for information about how to change the location and size:

                // Name = new Puzzle(Xpos, Ypos, 'Name', width, height, 'Color', 'GifPath');

                'Xpos' and 'Ypos' refer to the upper left corner of the box containing the
                image.

                HTH

                Pete