13299Re: [JavaScript] Playing a sound

  • Fernando (UK)
    Apr 3, 2006
      Actually the sound is not to annoy anyone, the user can choose if he
      wants to hear the sound when the message comes or not.
      And, yes, I am using .mp3

      I got to solve my problem using <embed>, which is cross-browser, like
      following:

      HTML:

      JavaScript:

      function DHTMLSound(surl) {
      document.getElementById("SOUND_SPAN").innerHTML="<embed src='"+surl+"'
      hidden='true' autostart='true' loop='false'>";
      }

      // Sound of new message
      var sound_file = 'sound/new_message_sound.mp3';
      DHTMLSound(sound_file); // To play

      f3l escreveu:

      >On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 06:43:26 -0500, Fernando (UK)
      ><fernandosouzaphp@...> wrote:
      >

      >>Considering the user has the appropriate plugin installed, what is the
      >>best way to play a sound using javascript?
      >>
      >>This is not working for me in FF or IE:
      >>

      >and it shouldn't, u must use bgsound
      >I'm not sure about that being standard, so I wouldnt recommend it.
      >people are anoyed by the sounds in webpages, so I'd recommend something
      >different.
      >
      >1. use flash
      >2. do NOT use wav, try compressing it in mp3 or something,
      >WAVs are way too heavy, and people are more likely not to wait for it.
      >

      >>Javascript:
      >>document.getElementById('EMAIL_WARNING_SOUND').src =
      >>'sound/new_message_english.wav';
      >>
      >>HTML:
      >><iframe id="EMAIL_WARNING_SOUND" name="EMAIL_WARNING_SOUND" src=""
      >>style="visibility:hidden; display:none"></iframe>

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic