Re: Time frame for various ancient text

  • nrao
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2013
      There are two issues.

      First this line between Itihasa and Purana is not very clear, at least to me. Most places the two bodies of ancient epics and literature are termed, puranaitihasa or itihasa-purna. Only some places they are referred to as separately. Perhaps, Itihasa refers to events which are narrated or recorded as they happened (Iti.hasa - as it was or so it happened). Purana, perhaps talk of events in earlier times.

      I found these quote from MBh which corroborate MBh as 'Itihasa' -

      MBh: 18.5.31 -

      पुण्यॊ ऽयम इतिहासाख्यः पवित्रं चेदम उत्तमम
      कृष्णेन मुनिना विप्र नियतं सत्यवादिना

      Called a history, it is sacred, sanctifying and excellent. It has been composed by the ascetic Krishna, O Brahmana, of truthful speech.

      18.5.42-43 -

      42 - नारदॊ ऽशरावयद देवान असितॊ देवलः पितॄन
      रक्षॊयक्षाञ शुकॊ मर्त्यान वैशम्पायन एव तु
      43 - इतिहासम इमं पुण्यं महार्थं वेद संमितम
      शरावयेद यस तु वर्णांस तरीन कृत्वा बराह्मणम अग्रतः

      Narada recited the Mahabharata to the gods; Asita-Devala to the Pitris; Suka to the Rakshasas and the Yakshas; and Vaishampayana to human beings. This history is sacred, and of high import, and regarded as equal to the Vedas. That man, O Saunaka, who hears this history, placing a Brahmana before him, acquires both fame and the fruition of all his wishes.

      Second issue is the timeline, which is even more complicated. The timeline that I provided in previous posting of Chandogya Upnishad is conventional dateline and appears as arbitrarily set by early Orientalists. These dates are seldom questioned and it seems that some passages may be earlier than the orientalist assigned conventional date of 8th century BCE.

      We need somebody better than me like Ishwa or Dr Rana, who can help regarding both of these issues.

      -Naveen