Teotia’s fast-unto-death in jail enters sixth day

  • ravichaudhary2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2011
      http://www.dailypioneer.com/city/5657-teotias-fast-unto-death-enters-sixth-day.html

      Teotia's fast-unto-death in jail enters sixth day

      Sunday, 11 September 2011 23:52
      SP SINGH | GHAZIABAD

      User Rating: / 0
      PoorBest

      Manvir Singh Teotia, the leader who led the farmers' agitation at Bhatta Parsaul, entered his sixth day of fast-unto-death at Dasna jail on Sunday. He had started his fast from September 6, 2011.

      The wife of the farmer leader, Nutan Teotia, accused the State Government for misleading the media by propagating that Teotia was planning to go on fast while he had already started his fast. "I have posted about 20 registered letters apprising different authorities in the State and Central Government, including the Prime Minister and the Chief Justice of India, about the ongoing fast of the farmer leader, but all my letters seem to have fallen on deaf ears," she added.

      "We shall demand a medical check-up of the farmer leader by the district hospital. Teotia has expressed his unwillingness to go for a medical examination conducted by the doctors of the jail hospital as he fears that the medical report prepared by the jail doctors can be tampered," Ved Praksh Sharma, the counsel for Teotia, said.

      "On his last visit to the court on September 4, 2011, Teotia had apprised us regarding his decision to go on a fast. Though the former BJP president and Ghaziabad MP, Rajnath Singh, had requested him not to go on a fast, but the farmer leader seemed to be adamant. We have decided to submit a request before the court so that it summons the farmer leader," alleged Teotia's counsel

      Teotia had been fighting for the farmers' cause not only in Bhatta Parsaul but wherever he felt it was needed, be it in Tappal or Bulandshahr. He had been thoroughly honest with the farmers' cause to fight through peaceful manners but the UP State had lodged more than 20 criminal cases against him.