Re: The origin of Castes and Gotras

  • msanglikar
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2011
      I have seen that in almost all the articles on castes, there is no scientific research, they do not know about the 'Stock' and 'Race' etc and they are dependent of some pothis written by Brahmins which connect the castes to Vedic Origin.

      -Mahavir

      --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "ymalaiya" <ymalaiya@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > > readily available.
      > > >
      > > > The practice of exogamy is found even outside of India, for example in
      > > > China where the surnames are used as the exogamous units. Exogamy has both
      > > > biological and social reasons. Marrying within a small goup not only has
      > > > genetic disadvantages, it causes small groups to socially interact only
      > > > within a small group.
      > > >
      > > > It should be noted that in many communities the exogamous units are not
      > > > called gotras. In some cases, the real exogamous units that are avoided for
      > > > marriage are called something else and the term "gotra" is used for
      > > > something else.
      > > >
      > > > Bhardvaj's comment on "Hindu Punjabis" is not correct. I presume that he is
      > > > thinking about the Khatris. They also use clan names as gotras. Sometimes
      > > > they use a separate term as a gotra.( some Khatris are Brahmin origin.).
      > > > His comment about the Bhardvaj brahmins is not applicable to other Brahmins.
      > > >
      > > > In south India, marriage with the daughter of mama is generally permitted,
      > > > however note that even in that case the boy and the girl belong to different
      > > > gotras.
      > > >
      > > > Among Muslims, it is common for a couple in the same family to marry. The
      > > > reason is that the conduct of prophet Muhammad is considered to be ideal. He
      > > > had married Abu Bakr's daughter Ayesha. Abu Bakr has initially objected
      > > > saying that "but I am your brother".
      > > > Abu Bakr and the prophet Muhammed were related through the seventh
      > > > generation of forefathers.
      > > >
      > > > Some of the Mughal princesses in India were married within the Mughal
      > > > family itself. However the Muslims Rajputs generally avoid marring within
      > > > their own clan.
      > > >
      > > > Yashwant
      > > >

      > > > Dear dr ranbir bhai sahib ,
      > > >
      > > > please help me to find a reply to this question with far reaching future
      > > > implications.hope the WOMEN STUDY CENTER MDU,a body apparently working for
      > > > the women cause,funded by taxpayer money can give some reply.Of course it
      > > > should be based on a professional study /research & not on some lofty
      > > > ideas/ gut feeling or malafide intent/ some hidden agenda.I am also waiting
      > > > for a debate on the issue of KHAP PANCHAYATS on three basic issues ie;-
      > > > a)khap panchayats have no history -as per you.
      > > > b)the khap panchayats are not SARVAJATIYA -as per
      > > > jagmati on record.
      > > > c)the decisions of the khap panchayats are always
      > > > against the poor &helpless l & in favour of the powerful-as
      > > > per jagmati on record.
      > > > If you really believe in the ways of sawami Dayanand then you must organise
      > > > a debate as early as possible .you should also bear in mind that i have my
      > > > own rights as per constitution& this tirade/smear campaign is impinging on
      > > > them&being an astute,learned,widely experienced know well how to guard them
      > > > against,ill informed imposters&frauds.i hope the message is straight
      > > > &clear.The ball is in your court bhai sahib .

    • Ajay Singh
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2011
        Historicall similar caste system was developed in Greek at the time of their zenith power and it worked very well in the soceity like the current Socila Security system in US. Brahmins never invented thye just copied and paste on illeterate Indian people. In India it is still working very well and as time changes Brahmins join hands with SC ST to remain in power. Thanks.

      • urmila
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 21, 2013
          Dear All,

          I disagree when someone says Jat women have been treated well by Jat men through ages. Just to name some traditional practices against women: forced polyandry, no inheritance rights for women, no say in social judicial matters by women. Need I say more ?

          Regards,

          Urmila.

          --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "ravichaudhary2000" <ravichaudhary2000@...> wrote:

          > I read the same message.
          >
          > My understanding was that Ajay was more concerned about " aping the west, and blindly copying what they do without thinking,"
          >
          > That comment applies to many issues, and not just the one he chose to take as an example. One need not single out the west either,as the demon, as when a society is in transition, the attendant changes, and stresses on the existing fabric will generate their own consequences and results. That will happen in any society.
          >

          > Society will adapt and create new structures.
          >
          > e.g in any society today, and I have noticed this is conservative societies too( such as Iran 30 years ago) and in Indian and Canadian societies too, girls do better than boys in their studies.This applies to Jat villages too.
          >
          > That lead to many higher level courses being filled by girls.
          >
          > For current/future family relationships( mating and allied structures on anthropoligical terms), this means the girls could well be earning more than the males.
          >
          > In such cases will we see the end of the patriarchal society?
          >

          > I will agree about the "blind aping" part. That applies to all inputs though, whether eastern or Western.
          >

          > On a historical note though, the Jat society ethic, has been positive for their womenkind, and for the role of women in their society- this includes re marriage, widow remarriage etc.
          >
          > These are gGood ancient traditions going back to Rig Vedic times.Interestingly the Jats are one of the few Indian communities who follow this custom unbroken since those times.
          >
          > That continuity, has implications for the continuity clan names, and it is no accident then that over 60 jat clans names are found in the Rig Veda, as the noted historian B S Dahiya pointed out.
          >
          > The rest of Indian society is becoming more accepting of these practices, and that can be attributed to women's liberalization too, without having to be accused of 'aping the west'.
          >
          > Ravi Chaudhary
          >

          > --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "urmila" <uduhan@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, Ajay Singh <asingh71@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Indian today all the system whether Women liberalisation etc. is just
          > > > blindly copied and aped from America without thinking.
          > > >

          > > The message seems to resent women's liberalisation in India.
          > >
          > > Urmila.

        • urmila
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 22, 2013
            You raised quite a valid point here Mahavir i.e., that texts written by the dominant section of society about the so called creation of castes that they report happened many hundreds of years ago, are taken as a historical facts! Well, how do these writers know that's what happened and that's how it all happened? Such kids stuff! Now please don't further make a fool of yourself by saying that we the writers have a direct connection to God to know these things!!

            Regards,

            Urmila.

            --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "msanglikar" <jainway@...> wrote:

            > I have seen that in almost all the articles on castes, there is no scientific research, they do not know about the 'Stock' and 'Race' etc and they are dependent of some pothis written by Brahmins which connect the castes to Vedic Origin.
            >
            > -Mahavir
            >
            > --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "ymalaiya" <ymalaiya@> wrote:
            > >
            > > How did the castes (endogamous groups) and the gotras (exogamous groups) originate in India?
            > >
            > > What role, if any, did the Brahmins play?
            > >
            > > The literature on individual castes can be hard to find (Wikipedia has changed that to some extent).
            > >
            > > There has been a significant interest in attempting to identify the "origin" of specific castes. There were a number of books written during 17-19th century about specific castes. It should be noted that at that time, archaeological inscriptions were not available. Some of the accounts about the origin of many Brahmin castes can be seen Brahmanotpatti-Martanda, a compilation based on many sources.
            > >
            > > Many books associate the formation of a specific caste with a king, a sage, a divine being or a miraculus event.
            > >
            > > However with what we know, we have to conclude that in almost all cases, the castes have evolved through a natural process. In some cases, a section of a caste broke off as a result of a dispute which resulted in a new caste. Even in such cases, I suspect events must have been evolutionary.
            > >
            > > A caste as an endogamous groups (often called bradari, samaj etc) should not be confused with varna, a hypothetical division of all communities into four varnas. In my view the varna system is no longer applicable today, it has not been applicable for quite a long time.
            > >
            > > It is hard to see how Brahmins could have been a main influence behind emergence of the castes. However they have, being professional scholars, written a few of the books. Since they serve a priests for other communities, sometimes in some communities, the name of a gotra is based on a rishi, from whom the priestly clan derives the descent. (Brahmins regard themselves, biological or spiritual/academic descendants of the rishis).
            > >
            > > Gotras too must have evolved. In quite a few communities, the gotras are based on the villages they originally lived in. In some other cases, the gotras are based on the professions or the government titles (such as Mehta etc.). This is true for a number of communities.
            > >
            > > In some cases, names of a few gotras can be found in 11-12th century inscriptions.
            > >
            > > Yashwant
            > >

            > > --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, Ajay Singh <asingh71@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Yshwant.. Read about Greek Caste systems from where Brahmins have stolen the
            > > > idea and implemented on simple and poor people of India. Greeks were first
            > > > to follow the caste system and worked very well for the elites just like in
            > > > Indian today all the system whether Women liberalisation etc. is just
            > > > blindly copied and aped from America without thinking.

          • ravichaudhary2000
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 23, 2013
              We should compare the societies of the times, not apples with pears.

              --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "urmila" <uduhan@...> wrote:

              > Dear All,
              >
              > I disagree when someone says Jat women have been treated well by Jat men through ages. Just to name some traditional practices against women: forced polyandry, no inheritance rights for women, no say in social judicial matters by women. Need I say more ?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Urmila.
              >
              > --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "ravichaudhary2000" <ravichaudhary2000@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I read the same message.
              > >
              > > My understanding was that Ajay was more concerned about " aping the west, and blindly copying what they do without thinking,"
              > >
              > > That comment applies to many issues, and not just the one he chose to take as an example. One need not single out the west either,as the demon, as when a society is in transition, the attendant changes, and stresses on the existing fabric will generate their own consequences and results. That will happen in any society.
              > >

              > > Society will adapt and create new structures.
              > >
              > > e.g in any society today, and I have noticed this is conservative societies too( such as Iran 30 years ago) and in Indian and Canadian societies too, girls do better than boys in their studies.This applies to Jat villages too.
              > >
              > > That lead to many higher level courses being filled by girls.
              > >
              > > For current/future family relationships( mating and allied structures on anthropoligical terms), this means the girls could well be earning more than the males.
              > >
              > > In such cases will we see the end of the patriarchal society?
              > >

              > > I will agree about the "blind aping" part. That applies to all inputs though, whether eastern or Western.
              > >

              > > On a historical note though, the Jat society ethic, has been positive for their womenkind, and for the role of women in their society- this includes re marriage, widow remarriage etc.
              > >
              > > These are gGood ancient traditions going back to Rig Vedic times.Interestingly the Jats are one of the few Indian communities who follow this custom unbroken since those times.
              > >
              > > That continuity, has implications for the continuity clan names, and it is no accident then that over 60 jat clans names are found in the Rig Veda, as the noted historian B S Dahiya pointed out.
              > >
              > > The rest of Indian society is becoming more accepting of these practices, and that can be attributed to women's liberalization too, without having to be accused of 'aping the west'.
              > >
              > > Ravi Chaudhary
              > >

              > > --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "urmila" <uduhan@> wrote:

              > > > The message seems to resent women's liberalisation in India.
              > > >
              > > > Urmila.

            • urmila
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 23, 2013
                If the peers were murdering that does not absolve Jats of murders! A wrong does not become right by hiding behind peers. But again, I donor expect Jats to be different from the rest of majority of society.