Strategies for updating Wikipedia etc

  • Ravi Chaudhary
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
      -- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "JD Singh (Rathi)" <jais_99@...> wrote:

      This is a great idea!
      May I suggest we also look at having a strategy for
      updating Wikipedia (open encyclopedia) items relating
      to Jats, Rajputs, vedic civlization etc. Wikipedia can
      be modified by anyone and rapidly gaining recognition
      as a source of information for casual surfers of the net.

      > JD

      This is another good idea, which needs following up on, in a
      coordinated manner.

      Luxman Burdakji has (almost single-handedly) been writing up articles,
      and engaging with other posters on Wikipedia, who have been trying to
      enforce their own versions.

      The other problem with Wikipedia is , that any one updates it.

      This is a problem and an opportunity.

      A problem, because a lot of baseless junk gets written up, and usually
      a revert war ensues.

      At present the Jat page, is a good example.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jat_(people)

      We now have one John Hill, for example reverting the information, and
      substituting his own-, which is based on Colonial 18th century
      perceptions, and his views are unsupported by data from the Indians
      or the Jats in particular.

      In his case, 18th century opinions of missionaries, are preferable, to
      hard data from the Jat records

      The Jats one may suggest, would know a little more about their
      History, than some colonial missionary or bureaucrat.
      .
      Here is an immediate case, where one needs to deal with posters with
      their own agenda.

      The strategy t o deal with this is necessary. It comes later though,
      and separately, or rather simultaneously.

      We still need to our foundations in solid order too.

      Without solid foundations there is no point in making posts, and
      writing up articles that will not stand the glare of critical analysis.

      We need more than just a few contributors carrying the flag.

      Help is needed

      Ravi Chaudhary.
    • kharbnarender
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        Ravi ji

        Is this man John Hill, who is writing this all bullshit about Jat
        Sahasi ruler as Rajput... and brahman as some one better than Jats in
        social structure in that period ,the facts were just reverse and well
        documented .

        Is their some ambiguity ?????

        If so let us clear his or any body's confusion regarding that once
        and for all.

        From wiki Jat page...
        The line of rulership before Islam runs: Siharus, Raja Sahasi II,
        Chach, Raja Dahir. The first two were Buddhist Rajputs and the last
        two Hindu Brahmins.There is a difference of opinion among historians
        concerning the social dynamic between the Jatts and the Brahmins.Some
        historians suggest that the relationship was an adversarial one, with
        Brahmins using their high caste status to exploit and oppress the
        Jatts, Meds and Buddhists, who formed the bulk of the peasantry [37].
        According to a quote by historian U.T Thakkur, "When Chach, the
        Brahmim chamberlain who usurped the throne of Rajput King Sahasi II
        went to Brahmanabad, he enjoined upon the Jats and Lohanas not to
        carry swords, avoid velvet or silken cloth, ride horses without
        saddles and walk about bare-headed and bare-footed" [38].

        --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chaudhary"
        <ravichaudhary2000@...> wrote:

        > At present the Jat page, is a good example.
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jat_(people)
        >
        > We now have one John Hill, for example reverting the information,
        and
        > substituting his own-, which is based on Colonial 18th century
        > Help is needed
        >

        > Ravi Chaudhary.

      • Ravi Chaudhary
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
          --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "kharbnarender" <kharbnarender@...>
          wrote:

          > Ravi ji
          >
          > Is this man John Hill,

          *********

          NO its not John hill who s doing this w\writing.

          Wikipedia is being edited by myriads of persons.

          To track down who did a particular edit, you would have to go into the
          `History' section of the article, which tells you the date of change,
          and the author, and allows you to compare the earlier and later versions.

          John Hill is basically a good scholar. He has translated a Chinese
          Manuscripts.
          The Western Regions according to the Hou Hanshu
          The Xiyu juan
          "Chapter on the Western Regions"
          from Hou Hanshu 88

          http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/texts/hhshu/hou_han_shu.html

          Unfortunately he has got so enamored with those manuscripts that he
          has started to believe them to be the gospel truth.

          There is a difference between making a translation, and then
          reinterpreting the \translation

          I have invited him to this group to present his arguments.

          He will be a welcome and useful member

          Hopefully he will join.

          Ravi Chaudhary