Re: Rathore/Rastrakuta & Gahadwals (Gaharwars) and Rathi

  • burnttoast187
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 1 1:45 PM
      great post, thx alot for the help!

      if u see any hard documents on this topic let me know..

      all the best

      Chaudhry Saab
      --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chaudhary"
      <ravichaudhary2000@y...> wrote:
      > --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "burnttoast187"
      > <burnttoast187@h...> wrote:
      > > I was reading a document by R.S JOON in the files section here..
      > >
      > > it said that Rathores are the same as Rathi
      > >
      > > I also noticed that Rathi is a Jat Gotra
      > >
      > > as u can imagine I got confused lol..
      > >
      > > Im not sure if they are the same thing or related, or if related
      > > how? or if they are the same thing why different names?..
      > >
      > > if u know the answer it would be great help
      >
      > ************
      > The Rat ( Raat), Rathi, ( Raati) Rathor( Raator), may have some
      > commonality of origin.
      >

      > A clue may be found, in that the ancient name of today's Gujarat
      > province ( today pronounced Gujrath) was Lata, pronounced as LAAT,
      > not Latha.
      >
      > The L and R are interchangeable and so the trasnformation of RAAT,
      > RAT, to LAT, LAAT, should not be unexpected.
      >
      > The Rathi clan is also quite widespread, from Gujarat to UP to Madhya
      > Pradesh, and to me we should look for the origin of the Rathor in the
      > "Rathi", and not in the 'Gathwala' of ' Gahadwala.
      >
      > The migration of the' Rathi' clan from Rajstahn into today's Haryana
      > in the 9th to 12 th century is also documented. Migration from ancient
      > Gujrat or Raat, or Laat should not be unexpected.
      >

      > Another clue to be taken into account is that the Rathi's point their
      > origin to the South i.e Rajasthan( and Sindh- Lata), while the
      > Gathwala/ Gahadwala point their origin to Ghus , now in Afghanistan.
      >

      > The ancient Raat or Laat, comprised the area of today's Gujarat and
      > Sindh( now in Pakistan).
      >
      > The would be in line with the Saka migrations in the BCE period.
      >

      > One of the Origins of clan names of Gioths of the Jats came from the
      > geographical area they were resiosinding in.
      >
      > the Nehra originates from the Nehra hills in Rajastan
      >
      > The origin of Rathi, Rahtor, could also just designate people who came
      > fom Raat or laata.
      >
      > We do find the Rathi Goth in communities other than just Jats. Many
      > trading familes from the Marwar region also give that as their surname
      > or Goth.
      >
      > Thoughts please!
      >
      > Ravi Chaudhary
    • ymalaiya
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 5 11:26 AM
        I think Ravi has mentioned some interesting leads that need further
        investigation.

        Let me add a few facts.

        1. "Ratta" has been an alternative term for the Rashtrakutas. It is
        prakrit for Rashtra.

        2. Rashtrakutas originated at Lattalur (modern Latur), later they
        made Manyakheta (Malkhed) their capital. Some authors believe that
        Lattalura and Ratta are connected.

        3. As I mentioned a branch of the Rashtrakutas of Manyakhet ruled
        Lata (Gujarat) during 9th century as regional chiefs, after them the
        control went back to Manyakhet.

        4. Two communites from Rajasthan, Oswals and Maheshwaris, both have
        a gotra named "Rathi". Oswals originated from Osian in southern
        Rajasthan, the Maheshwaris from Khandela northern Rajasthan. Oswals
        are Jain.

        5. According to Upakesh-gachchha-charitra composed by Kakka Suri
        of Upakesh Gachchha in vikram 1393 (some scholars assign a later
        date), one of the 18 original Oswals clans was "Karnata". Note
        that "Upakesh" is Sanskrit for Osian.

        Yashwant