B S Dahiya - a Great Historian passes away

  • Ravi Chaudhary
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      Bhim Singh Dahiya has passed away.

      Who was Bhim Singh Dahiya?

      When did he pass away?

      Why should we honour his memory?

      During my just ended trip to India, I wished to meet this historian. I
      tried. To my deepest regret I learnt that he had passed away some time
      ago.

      My immediate reaction was, why did I knot know about this earlier,
      indeed why did the wider community not know about his passing away?

      Why was no memorial erected his in honour, why were his contributions
      not honored?

      I have never met Bhim Singh Dahiya, and he was known to me only
      through his writings.

      He was a Civil Servant, and following in the footsteps of other great
      civil servants, who devoted their time in academic pursuits, in 1982
      he wrote is monumental book- "Jats the Ancient rulers",
      published by
      Sterling Publishers, New Delhi.

      It is out of print with them, and they proudly informed me that they
      have no intention of reprinting it

      The work was republished by Dahinam Publishers , Sonepat, whom I tried
      to contact but was unsuccessful . Perhaps some member in Sonepat can
      help.

      This book, a well-researched and referenced book, is written a free
      flowing, highly readable, and lucid manner. It is a reconstruction of
      the History of Jats from time immemorial. His linkage of the clan
      names/ Gotras to the existence of the Jats in Central Asia, and
      Europe, put a stamp on the histiography of the Jat History, for the
      people who could not have access to the works in Hindi or Urdu.

      He brought out the Jat wars with Timur in Central Asia, which saga is
      augmented by other historians, of the pounding that Timur received
      at the hands of the Jats of the Sarv Khap of Haryana, which in itself
      is a story a little different from the versions taught it us in
      schools and colleges.

      He brought out to the lay reader, that Chandra Gupta Maurya, the
      Kushans, the second Guptas, and Harshvardhan were Jats.

      For an extract from his book – " Introduction" see, the
      Files section

      IYA-%20Jats%20ancient%20rulers%20/

      [For non members- membership is required for the files section, but
      that is only a click away – click on `join the group" all
      welcome

      This was followed by a number of articles. One in particular was the
      treatment of the J and G letter and sounds Greek and English languages
      and the confusion it created. He showed how the G letter was a
      substitution for the J sound, as the J letter did not exist in the
      ancient Greek alphabet. The significance was in determining who the
      Guti were, whom the Chinese and Western and most Indian Historians
      know as the `Yueh Chi', but are Jats, of whom Kushans were
      just one
      clan, not a people unto themselves.

      In 1992, he brought out his next book- Rig Vedic Tribes and Aryans
      also published by Dahinam Publishers, Sonepat, Haryana. A group member
      was kind enough to send a copy and I grateful for that.

      Here he demonstrated how over 80 Jat Goths, Gotras, clans could be
      traced back to the Rig Veda.

      For someone trying to reconstruct a Jat history this becomes quite a
      relevant piece of primary evidence, for the story of the Jats can then
      be tracked back to the dawn of civilization, and of interest to the
      historian, the same clans can be found existing today.

      Extracts of this book can be seen in messages

      Jat Rishis in the Rig Veda

      Jat Clans in the Rig Veda

      Where does he fit in the histiography of the Jats

      The pioneer Jat historian was Thakur Desraj, whose work of 1934,
      " Jat
      Ithihass". Liad pretty much the groud for the futrure.

      R S Joon wrote his History of the Jats in urdu about 1938, and this
      was translated, expanded and republished in 1967

      Both are online iin the files section

      In the Hindi Stream we also have Mahendra Shastri, circa 1975, and a
      number of other authors whom I do not mention here , nut will
      elsewhere

      In the English stream

      They was followed by B S Dahiya in 1982

      Dahiya in chronology was followed by Dilip Singh Ahlawat ( hindi-,Jat
      viron ka ithiass)in 1988 and Hukham Singn Pauria in 1992.

      Great historians who also have sadly passed away.

      Dahiya Sahib's contributions are not in doubt.

      Many of us who desired to know more about the Jats, their history and
      culture, owe much to Bhim Singh Dahiya, and we will remain eternally
      grateful to this intellectual of stature who made it possible for us
      to gain just that knowledge.

      If other members know about him, his life, please do post the
      information. Any unpublished material will be welcome.

      Indeed if some enterprising member can come up with some material, let
      have a web page devoted to him. We can host this on any of the many
      sites that are now exist, and are coming up. The more the better.

      Dudhee Sahib will be please to host this on his site
      http://jatworld.net/

      Any other ideas to honour his memory and contribution will be welcome

      Ravi
    • Paramjit Singh
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
        Dear Ravi
        It was a sad news to know that BS Dahiya is no more. but maore unfortunate is that there was no mention in any major dailies about the sad demise.
        Even I could not make any contact with Dahinam Publishers even though of my repeated letters written to them at Sonepat contact address. I also tried to find out once on my way back from Delhi but no body, even the book sellers of Sonepat were not aware of Dahinam Publishers, Sonepat. Reply was same from Sterling people. I searched in a few libraries but the result was nill.
        If you come across any contact form where we can procure this book then please let me know, even I will inform you if I come to know.
        Thanks
        Paramjit

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2005
          --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, Paramjit Singh <psdallanwala@y...>
          wrote
          > If you come across any contact form where we can procure this book
          then please let me know, even I will inform you if I come to know.
          > Thanks
          > Paramjit

          Paramjit

          we are making efforts

          We are also trying a develop an intiative for the republishing of his
          book, and Ahlawat's book ,and digitalizing them for the net

          Will keep you and the group informed.

          Anyone wishing to help please contact me

          Ravi