36-kula Rajputs and 96-kul Marathas

  • ymalaiya
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2004
      Recently some reporters mentioned that Vasundhara Raje, who claimed
      to be a daughter of a Rajput, was in fact born in the Maratha
      Scindia (i.e. Shinde) family.

      Is there a connection, if any between Rajputs and Marathas. Marathas
      emerged into prominence with rise of Shivaji (1627-1680). At this
      time Rajputs were already famous with centuries of active rulership
      in Rajasthan.

      Marathas are divided into two classes, 96-kuli, those belonging to
      96 noble lines (kula), and kunbi, who are ordinary farmers. The
      dividing lines between the two are not alwayes clear.

      The term Rajput is sometimes reserved for the descendants of the
      famous 36 clans. There are several lists with mostly the same names,
      perhaps the oldest one was given by Hemachandra Suri (1088-1173) in
      Kumarapapla charitra. The term Rajput is also used in a wider sense
      to include other groups. The dividing line between Rajputs and other
      groups like Jats can sometimes be unclear.

      Shannavati-kula, a varnakular text mentions the 96 Maratha kulas.
      There are other lists avaialble, which are sometimes slighlty
      different. The kunbi Marathas often can have similar family names.

      The distinction between common members and royal descendants can be
      seen in other groups. For example Raj Bhar are descendants of the
      royality among the Bhars.

      Besides the analogy between 36-kula Rajputs and 96-Kula Marathas, is
      there a connection between the two?

      Archaeologocal records suggest that there must have been. The
      Rathors (Rashtrakutas in Sanskrit) are certainly descendants of the
      Rashtrakutas of Manyakhet. Historical evidence also shows that
      Chaulukyas (Solankis) are same as Chalukyas of Maharastra/Karnataka
      region. Early parmar copperplates show that Paramaras regarded
      themselves a branch and a successors of Rashtrakutas of Manyakhet.
      This places the origin of some of the major Rajput clans in
      Maharashtra/Karnataka region. It would thus be likely that some of
      the branches of these clans stayed in Maharashtra and eventually
      became part of the Marathas. It should be noticed that lists of 96
      kulas include Sakunkhe, Pawar, Rathors, and one of them mentions
      Rashtrakute.

      Yashwant

      Newspaper quotes on Vasundhara Raje

      http://www.rediff.com/election/2003/dec/05bjp.htm

      Being married to the Maharaja of Dholpur, a Jat, she had the
      potential to swing that influential group in the party's favour. She
      herself claimed Rajput status (she is actually a Maratha caste, but
      in north India, this caste is associated with Rajputs).

      http://www.rediff.com/election/2003/dec/08vasu.htm

      In the run-up to the December 1 poll, Vasundhara Raje harped on her
      being both a Rajput and a Jat [Hemant Singh is a Jat].

      The Scindias are Marathas (Scindia is a North Indian form of the
      Maharashtrian surname Shinde).

      http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=23212
      Sunday, May 04, 2003

      (ANURADHA NAGARAJ)
      Will the caste factor be important in this election?
      (Vasundhara Raje's reply)
      As far as we are concerned, we consider all 36 castes as equal. I
      may be a Rajput daughter, but I am a Jat bahu and mother-in-law of a
      Gujjar girl.
    • devendra singh

        Sunday, May 04, 2003

        (ANURADHA NAGARAJ)
        Will the caste factor be important in this election?
        (Vasundhara Raje's reply)
        As far as we are concerned, we consider all 36 castes as equal. I
        may be a Rajput daughter, but I am a Jat bahu and mother-in-law of a
        Gujjar girl.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mahavir
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2004
          There are many clans in Marathas which are also found in Rajputs, the
          famous are: Chavan (Chauhan), Rathod, Pawar, Rane (Rana), Salunkhe
          (Solanki), Sisode (Sisodia) etc. All these people belonging to these
          clans claim that their ancestors were Rajputs. The Bhosales also
          claim that they are descendents of Sisodiya Rajputs.

          It is interesting that there is a clan name `Rashtrakut' in the list
          of 96 clans.

          Mahavir