Re: Jat Kushans etc -perspectives and approaches

  • adhin88
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      Dear Ravi,

      I am sorry that you had to go through this process. To be frankly, I
      was (perhaps like David?), afraid that this could happen.
      It is not only that names which sound the same, but also other
      similar elements between totally dissimilar groups, which are
      misleading sometimes.

      Dahiya, Joon, Dhillon, Pauria, have made an attempt to lay a
      foundation for further research on Jat history. But their words are
      not always gospel truths, especially not in the field of etymologies,
      but an attempt to collect material in their own respects.

      While Tod is one of the 'fathers' of the Jat-Getic-Guti-Goth-Yuezhi
      connection, he is also the person who pointed out several times, in
      his three-vulume-books, the intimate connection of the Yadu Vansha
      and a majority of Jat sections, based on the Jaisalmer Annals of the
      Bhattis. He obviously didn't understand this connection properly,
      otherwise he would have refrained from the first connections.
      I believe that Joon is perhaps the one who did understand this the
      most, as he remarks "Jat is in fact only another name of Chandra
      Vanshi branch of Aryans.." (History of the Jats, ch. 1 introduction)

      The Jaisalmer Annals confirm the information of the local dynasties,
      like the one of Dholpur, about an ancestor Shalivahana, and an
      area "beyond the Five Rivers". This is clearly a hint towards
      Zabulistan (Jabal) and the capital Gajni (named after Gaja or
      Gajasimha I Yadava), where the ancestors of the later two major
      groups, the Bhatti and Janjua Yadavas, were ruling and to which many
      Jat groups and their traditions are connected: Por, Mor, Tor, Bais,
      etc. are all in the Yadu, especially Bhatti lineages [in one lineage
      of Bhattis, according to the Kapurthala traditions, we come across
      Chauhan (not the same as the Chahamanas), Manj and Mann sections.]
      Almost all other Yadu and Jat groups related to the (pre-)Shalivahana
      sections, on the other side of the Indus, became Muslims, of which
      the Jats were known as Zotts to the Arabs.

      But what even Tod forgets, is that the Yadus according to their own
      traditions, are being located before the Zabulistan period in the
      more eastern Marusthali area in the subcontinent, and before that in
      Gujarat upto Mathura, areas where they are also traditionally
      located. They give the names of the kings, the events and the
      locations. And not really giving room to a Central-Asian (or NW)

      --- In JatHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chaudhary"