7,175 Direct Farmers to Consumers Markets in USA – Exclusive

  • Ravinder Singh
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2011
      In india there have been apni mandi and kisan mandi concept since last 30 eyars inclduing chandigarh as you mention.But problem is howmany farmers participate in it?can small farmers cpome all the way to cities and sell their merchandise? The point is we should not give extra benefit to nayone inclduing farmer.If we pay farmer 100 rs for apple instead of local shop in our city.What is benefit to economy and consumer.hgis is absurd.Idea is framers should get reaosnbale income( Not excessive) and channle of supply should be minimised with strict margins regulations.What The MNCs have done in Jaipuir? thye have started signing eggs supply from traders first.Giving thme excess rates so they cant supply to rertauilers.What is value addition in this.In fact the MNC is trying to canibalise retailers and not help farmers as you make out.Walmart has very bad record.All business houses are looters and greedy.No one works for consumers and society.

      7,175 Direct Farmers to Consumers Markets in USA – Exclusive

      USA instead of killing Walmarts like efficient retail companies and contrary to mischief of Half Pants and Red Rags and Draupadi of BJP reading out list of Grocery bill of most expensive market of New Delhi in parliament, USDA initiated program for small farmers to Direct Marketing of Farm produce to consumers through Farmers Markets.

      7175 Farmers Markets for about 100 million households translates to 72 Farmers Markets for million households or 3m population. Thus Ahemdabad or Ludhiana size population already has 75 Farmers Markets in USA . One farmers market for 40,000 Population. Chandigarh size city to have 26 such markets – few are already functional in Chandigarh but mainly dominated by traders.

      New Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkatta ought to have 500 farmers markets.

      Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act of 1930

      The Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act (PACA) of 1930 — (P.L. 71-325 (June 10, 1930), as amended) regulates the buying and selling of fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables to prevent unfair trading practices and to assure that sellers will be paid promptly.

      USA also has ‘Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act of 1930’ for 81 years.

      When shall Half Pants and Red Rags learn to serve people of India and understand their function in the Parliament?

      It is also interesting to note here foreigners own 22.7 million acres of land in USA over 9 million acres.

      Ravinder Singh

      December18, 2011

      7,175 Ways to Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food: Visit a Farmers Market

      7,175 Ways to Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food: Visit a Farmers Market

      Agriculture Deputy Secretary Kathleen Merrigan, on August 5, 2011

      As the weekend approaches, there are things we all look forward to – sleeping in late, spending time with family, splashing in the neighborhood pool, and picnics with friends.  For me, I look forward to visiting my local farmers market.  It is a time for me and my urban-raised children to connect with local farmers and thank them for their hard work in providing the food we eat every day.  In the DC metro region, it’s the height of tomato season here.  I find strange and luscious heirloom tomato varieties in the farmers market that I never see in my grocery store.  Always trying to expand my children’s palate, the farmers market provides a great place to taste fresh foods.  The farmers cheer as my children try new fruits and vegetables.  The infectious excitement and fun at the market facilitates my efforts to get my kids to gobble up healthy food.

      So, I couldn’t be more pleased to announce that farmers markets are expanding to communities across the nation at an amazing rate!

      Today we are announcing that there are 7,175 farmers markets listed in the 2011 USDA Farmers Market Directory.  That’s 7,175 locations you can meet a farmer, get the freshest local produce, meat, dairy, cheese and other regional delights.  That’s 7,175 locations where you can invest in your community, meet your neighbors and support the local and regional food system.

      And it’s over 1,000 more farmers markets listed in the USDA Farmers Market Directory since last year. Since 2010, the number of farmers markets listed in the USDA National Farmers Market Directory on the Agricultural Marketing Service website has jumped 17 percent from 6,132.  Some of the states that have seen the largest percentage jump in farmers markets over the past year are Alaska (farmers markets up 46 percent); Texas (up 38 percent), Colorado (up 38 percent) New Mexico (up 38 percent) and Indiana (up 37 percent).  Oklahoma , South Dakota , Pennsylvania , Ohio and Michigan round out the list for the top ten states for farmers market growth by percentage.

      But what do all these numbers mean?  The growth in farmers markets is a sign that the local and regional food system is robust and thriving.  More farmers markets mean more opportunities for small and midsize farmers – especially beginning farmers – to diversify their farms, sell their products and grow their businesses.  More farmers markets mean more local economic stimulation to more communities which, in turn, mean more job opportunities.  More farmers markets mean more access to fresh, healthy and local food. In fact the number of farmers markets now accepting SNAP (Supplemental Assistance Nutrition Program, formerly known as food stamps) has also grown by 16 percent.

      We also know that more people are looking for farmers markets.  From January to July, 2011, the USDA Farmers Market Directory had over 1.8 million page views.  That’s a tripling from the same time frame in 2010!  Users of the USDA National Farmers Market Directory include everyone from producers looking for places to sell their products to consumers like you, looking for the freshest food around.

      Take a moment, especially during National Farmers Market Week, to look at the USDA National Farmers Market Directory and find a farmers market near you.

      USDA Supports Diverse Food Access Through Farmers Market Promotion Program Grants

      AMS WASHINGTON, Oct. 13, 2011 -- Nearly 150 farm-to-consumer marketing projects received funding today under the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Farmers Market Promotion Program (FMPP), marking a $9.2 million investment to support direct marketing and to increase consumer access to healthy food, much of it in food deserts and other low-income areas. This year’s awards--149 in total, distributed across 42 states and the District of Columbia--showed a rise in urban projects and increased diversity in the types of projects funded.

      “Earlier this year, we reported that more than 1,000 new farmers markets have been recorded across the United States , totaling 7,175 markets,” said Deputy Secretary Kathleen Merrigan. “Through programs like FMPP, we believe that USDA’s contributions to direct farm-to-consumer marketing are providing alternative economic opportunities for our nation’s agricultural producers.”

      Traditionally, FMPP has funded projects in both rural and urban areas. However, this year saw a shift toward a more even distribution, with urban projects growing to nearly half of the portfolio. “In addition to funding many worthy start-up farmers markets, I was particularly pleased to note a rise in the number of innovative projects like those that create or expand community-supported agriculture programs (CSAs), agritourism, and mobile markets,” Merrigan added.

      Increasing fresh food access in food deserts – low-income areas identified as having limited access to affordable and nutritious food – and other low-income communities was a priority for this year’s awards. As a result, over 40 percent of projects funded by FMPP this year serve one or more food deserts and another 20 percent will be implemented in communities with a poverty rate of 20 percent or higher.

      Additionally, improvements in transportation and delivery methods, purchase of refrigeration equipment and improvements to packaging and storage that facilitate food access comprise nearly a third of the projects funded. Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) projects continue to exceed the congressionally mandated 10 percent, accounting for approximately 24 percent of total funding which gives participants in federal nutrition assistance programs even greater access to nutritious food.

      Among the more innovative projects this year are:

      • Renaissance Project of New Orleans, which will operate food banks and mobile produce markets at social service agencies and public housing facilities in New Orleans , La.

      • Round Valley Indian Health Inc., which will develop a program to provide locally raised products to schools in Covelo , Calif. , through a CSA.

      • EcoStation: NY, Inc., which will purchase, operate and staff a solar- and biodiesel-powered refrigerated mobile market in low-income areas of Kings County , N.Y.

      • Lulus Local Food of Richmond , Va., which will establish four virtual online farmers markets and also provide farmers the opportunity to participate in a related gleaning program.

      • Oregon Cheese Guild, which will work with Oregon cheese makers to create an “Oregon Cheese Trail” through a comprehensive agritourism and media outreach initiative.

      Since its inception in 2006, the Farmers Marketing Promotion Program has awarded more than $23 million across the country to support direct producer-to-consumer marketing and local food projects. FMPP is administered by the Agricultural Marketing Service. Projects are expected to be completed within 24 months of initiation. The full list of awards granted for fiscal year 2011 is available at www.ams.usda.gov/FMPP.

      Get the latest Agricultural Marketing Service news at