Untouchability on Caste basis abolished. What about such behaviour towards HIV+, TB patients, Leprosy patients, STD patients?

  • satbir singh
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2007
      Although untouchability practised against so called
      "untouchables" on caste basis has been abolished and
      is no more practised except in backward and remote
      areas yet HIV+, TB patients, Leprosy patients, STD
      patients are treated like untouchables even in
      metropolitan cities.
      While doctors say that there is no harm in contacting
      these people and working or studying with them, most
      people avoid contact with such patients. There is
      also social stigma against patients suffering from
      HIV/AIDS, Leprosy and STD. In my opinion, an all out
      awareness programme should be launched by Government
      and NGOs to create awareness amongst the people that
      there is no harm in having social contacts with such
      persons. However, in the case of TB patients, even
      doctors want them to sit at a place which is quite
      distant from the doctors. Does TB spread so quickly?
      Some doctors on these lists should throw light on this
      question and in fact, doctors should let us know how
      to remove stigma and fear in public mind about these
      diseases? Ground realities should be made known to
      everybody.

      Satbir Singh Bedi

      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    • shadi katyalsearch
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 10:19 AM
        TB is a communicable disease and a TB pateient sitting
        in a room and coughing will expell TB
        germs which anyone near can catch it. This why
        Drs. ask TB pateients to sit further away. There
        is full cure for TB but if unchecked it can not
        only destroy the family but others around such
        patients.
        AID/HIV are communicable but they pass through blood
        and cuts besdie sexual acts. One doesnot get this by
        associating or sitting next to them.
        STD is a sexual disease and that also passes through
        the act and not just working or sitting with such
        people.

        --- satbir singh <ssbedi1945@...> wrote:

        > Although untouchability practised against so called
        > "untouchables" on caste basis has been abolished and
        > is no more practised except in backward and remote
        > areas yet HIV+, TB patients, Leprosy patients, STD
        > patients are treated like untouchables even in
        > metropolitan cities.
        > While doctors say that there is no harm in
        > contacting
        > these people and working or studying with them, most
        > people avoid contact with such patients. There is
        > also social stigma against patients suffering from
        > HIV/AIDS, Leprosy and STD. In my opinion, an all
        > out
        > awareness programme should be launched by Government
        > and NGOs to create awareness amongst the people that
        > there is no harm in having social contacts with such
        > persons. However, in the case of TB patients, even
        > doctors want them to sit at a place which is quite
        > distant from the doctors. Does TB spread so
        > quickly?
        > Some doctors on these lists should throw light on
        > this
        > question and in fact, doctors should let us know how
        > to remove stigma and fear in public mind about these
        > diseases? Ground realities should be made known to
        > everybody.
        >
        > Satbir Singh Bedi

        > Expecting? Get great news right away with email
        > Auto-Check.
        > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        http://games.yahoo.com/games/front