23693How unscrupulous people behave?

  • satbir singh
    Sep 29, 2013
      It is clear from the two news items in the Times of India of today given below that Peepal trees have grown on the anuses of two unscrupulous Indians who rather than feeling ashamed, say that they would enjoy the shades of the Peepal trees.

      Satbir Singh Bedi

      "Is Pakistan waiting for next Indian PM to do business?
      TNN | Sep 30, 2013, 02.06 AM IST

      NEW DELHI: As a storm rages over Nawaz Sharif's alleged comments running down Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as a "dehati aurat (village woman)", the Pakistani leader may also have made disparaging references to Singh's credibility after Rahul Gandhi attacked the government over an ordinance to protect convicted lawmakers.

      While the"dehati aurat" comment went viral after BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi referred to it during a speech in Delhi on Sunday and Sharif's purported comments were denied by an Indian TV anchor and a Pakistani journalist watered down his version, the controversy may not die out quickly.

      In his comments about the meeting with Sharif, well-known Pakistani TV anchor Hamid Mir told a Pakistan channel (clip is available on Youtube) that the Pakistani PM seemed to feel that Singh's credibility in India had been badly hurt by Rahul's intervention over the ordinance.

      This seems an added twist to the controversy over Modi raising the "dehati aurat" remark -- which has been strongly condemned by the Broadcast Editors Association that said the BJP leader should not have directed his comments to the Indian media. This was in the context of Modi saying that Indian media persons present at the meeting with Sharif should have walked out.

      Hamid Mir also issued a statement over Twitter that Sharif had not said anything demeaning about the Indian PM. But is in his TV interview, he had claimed that Sharif had made the remark about the Indian PM complaining to US President Barack Obama in the manner of a "dehati woman" while looking at an Indian anchor also present at the meeting.

      In his interview, Mir further claimed that Sharif did not seem hopeful of his meeting with Singh. "Unka ye khayal hai ki Manmohan Singh kamzor hai aur Rahul Gandhi ne unke saath kal jo kiya hai, uske baad Manmohan Singh sa'ab ki credibility India may kaafi kharab ho gayi hai. Wo ab position mein nahin hai ki Pakistan ke saath koi bada breakthrough kare (He is of the view that Manmohan Singh is weak and after what Rahul Gandhi did yesterday his credibility in India has been hurt. He is not in a position to make a big breakthrough with Pakistan)," Mir said, encapsulating Sharif's assessment.

      According to Mir, Sharif is now waiting for the new government in India next year to do business. Mir said the Indian journalist also raised the issue of Pakistan's Punjab government giving budgetary support to Jamaat-ud-Dawa linked to Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafeez Saeed.

      Modi raised the "dehati aurat" issue, saying at his Delhi rally, "How dare you (Sharif) address my nation's prime minister as a village woman? There cannot be a bigger insult of the Indian prime minister. We can fight with him on policies but this we will not tolerate. This nation of 1.2 billion will not tolerate its prime minister's insult."

      Modi went on to say, "The journalists who were sitting in front of Nawaz Sharif when he was insulting our prime minister should also answer to the people of my country. I want to ask those journalists, I don't know who were they but journalists of my country who were having sweets sitting with Nawaz Sharif when he was abusing our prime minister calling him a village woman, I expected those Indian journalists, the country expected them, to refuse the sweets and walk out."

      Finding Modi's remark against Indian journalists "objectionable", the Broadcast Editors' Association said, "The BEA believes that such statement aims at demeaning Indian media, which is a key institution of democracy. The association is disturbed at the attempt to project Indian media team visiting the UN in a poor light. Modi's statement has been made without knowing the full facts of the matter and without realizing the dignified role media is expected to play at international for a."

      Mir in the programme quoted Sharif as saying, "It seems as if Manmohan Singh went to complain to Obama about me like a dehati aurat".

      An Indian TV anchor, who was there with Sharif in that meeting with Mir, however, disputed Mir's claim on Twitter saying, "This (Mir's version) is a distortion entirely and Sharif said nothing of this kind." She said there were bits in the interaction that were "off the record". Secondly, this was a distortion even of the "off the record", she said.

      She went on to add that the bits that were off record did not include any pejorative word about the PM. Tweeting immediately after Modi's controversial remark, the Indian TV anchor said, "There was no pejorative word used for Indian PM in my presence."

      Taking a dig at Mir, she tweeted, "Pakistani media often calls us Indian journalists 'hawkish'. This time it's a section of their own who have distorted an off record chat."

      Though Mir too later clarified that nothing "derogatory" was said by Sharif about the Indian PM, he earlier in response to a question on his Twitter handle tweeted that the Indian TV anchor left (during meeting with Pakistan PM) and came back with camera. "She was not present all the time," he said, giving the impression that Sharif might have said something to him in the Indian journalist's absence.

      As the matter became quite controversial hours before Singh-Sharif scheduled meeting in US, Mir later tweeted, "PM Nawaz never said anything derogatory against Manmohan." He, however, also tweeted that it was a joke shared at a breakfast meeting. He did not go into the details of the 'joke'.

      Elaborating what had happened during meeting with Sharif, the Indian TV anchor wrote that Sharif merely expressed unhappiness over the fact that Pakistan had been so central to the meeting between Singh and Obama. "He argued that India should have brought its grievances to Pakistan directly. He also said it reminded him of an allegorical story of a dispute between two people in a village, in which one was a woman. The moral of his story was that disputes should be settled between parties directly and not involve a third party," said the anchor.

      "His story was an illustrative example of dispute resolutions between India, Pakistan and the United States," she wrote."

      "Lalu Prasad convicted in fodder scam case, sentencing on October 3
      TNN | Sep 30, 2013, 11.13 AM IST
      NEW DELHI: A special CBI court in Ranchi on Monday convicted former Bihar chief minister and RJD president Lalu Prasad in a case related to fodder scam.

      The quantum of sentence in the case will be announced on October 3.

      Lalu faces immediate disqualification as a Lok Sabha member as a recent Supreme Court order said that an MP or MLA would stand disqualified immediately if convicted by a court for crimes with punishment of two years or more.

      The case, RC 20 A /96, involves Lalu Prasad, another former Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra, JD (U) MP Jagdish Sharma and 41 others, including four retired IAS officer and a former Income-Tax commissioner.

      In this case, the accused have been held guilty of fraudulent withdrawal to the tune of Rs 37.7 crore from Chaibasa treasury in the 1990s. Chaibasa was then part of undivided Bihar.

      All the other accused including another former chief minister of Bihar, Jagannath Mishra, have been convicted in the case."