Re: [JaneAusten] S&S and soulmate

  • Anders Henningsson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2000
      Jeanne Stapleton wrote:

      > Hi Anders--I could understand if "soulmate" didn't
      > have
      > an exact translation into Swedish. It's an
      > interesting
      > concept. I have a friend who, though otherwise an
      > open and questing being, somehow believes your
      > "soulmate" can only be a person of the opposite sex--
      > almost as if a linking of the souls has to find
      > sexual or romantic expression.

      Could it be that you put different meaning in the word?

      > It
      > basically means someone with whom you have every-
      > thing in common--you have identical tastes, views,
      > etc.

      Well, when my brother and a cousin (genetically half sister,
      since my father and her father is identical twin)
      is the closest to "solemate" I've met so far.

      > It's what Marianne said all throughout S&S
      > she was looking for in various ways, and what Wil-
      > loughby was--save for his moral character, the hid-
      > den dark side.

      Are you sure that Wiloughby actually have the same taste and
      that he didn't only act as he had it?

      > You an dme both!

      What does that mean?

      > I believe that there are people--and they probably
      > are very few in number--who are better matches for
      > me than anyone else--I'm much less compromising than
      > I used to be, and I have to say that that natural
      > "agree on almost everything" fit is more important
      > to me *now* than it was when I was Marianne's age.

      Having the same moral values, being about equally clever,
      having equally rich personality, the needs, view on upbringing
      of children, has become more and more important to me too,
      at least when it comes to marriage and such relations,
      but some differences can be important too, and this holds
      for friends too.

      Kind regards
      Anders