Re: [JaneAusten] "Mansfield Park" on video...

  • Jeanne Stapleton
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2000
      Perhaps an unpopular view, but I enjoyed the movie
      once I got the chance to rent it.

      Jeanne

      http://click.egroups.com/1/6211/12/_/59187/_/962827272/

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • caren_white@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2000
        Hi! I'm a new member to the list, and could use some guidance!

        I have a tea society in northeast Ohio. In the coming year, I would
        like to organize a Jane Austen tea for the group. Only . . . I'm not
        sure what to DO at a Jane Austen tea . . . any suggestions?

        I enjoy her books, and love the clothing -- obviously I'll recommend
        that everyone dress in Regency clothing for the event (and certainly
        will as host) but what sort of entertainment should I offer the
        guests as they enjoy their tea? Any suggestions?

        I appreciate any help you'all can give and I'm looking forward to
        learning more about your group!

        ~Caren~
      • Louise Whitehouse
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2000
          I imagine that any single young ladies present, with their chaperones
          permission, might be asked to perform on the pianoforte, or to entertain the
          company with a song, and of course if any gentlemen present were blessed
          with a fine tenor, they might be presumed upon to accompany the lady.
          Of course there must be rational conversation amongst the guests, not I
          hasten to add in order to excahnge gossip and idle chit chat, but to attempt
          to make the better aquaintance of the company, and to discover whether any
          of the unmarried gentlemen, show any inclination to become attached.
          If there are sufficient players, a table could be made up to play bridge, or
          other games such as the one which I seem to recollect was called lottery
          tickets (Pride and Predjudice).
          Finally if the room is of suitable dimensions, and there is a willing
          pianist, the evening could conclude with some dancing, before the carriages
          of the ladies and gentle men in attendance must be sent for.
          That sounds to me like a highly refined and sensible entertainment for all
          concerned!

          http://profiles.msn.com