The New Year

  • Dbelle1861@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 10, 1999
      Everyone:

      We have several new people on the list, and I wish to welcome all of you. Has
      everyone finished reading Sense and Sensibility. Not much was posted about
      the novel, and I was wondering if ya'll enjoyed it or not. Please post any
      comments that you have concerning the novel. If we continue with the original
      idea of reading the novels in the order they were written then I believe that
      Pride and Prejudice is next. Should this be this month or next? There are
      several people on the list and I would like to hear from all of you concerning
      your thoughts and ideas.

      Happy New Year,
      Jill Marie
    • kala Curran
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 10, 1999
        I'm ready for Pride and prejudice at any time.

        Kala

        At 12:04 AM 1/11/99 EST, you wrote:
        >From: Dbelle1861@...
        >
        >Everyone:
        >
        >We have several new people on the list, and I wish to welcome all of you.
        Has
        >everyone finished reading Sense and Sensibility. Not much was posted about
        >the novel, and I was wondering if ya'll enjoyed it or not. Please post any
        >comments that you have concerning the novel. If we continue with the
        original
        >idea of reading the novels in the order they were written then I believe that
        >Pride and Prejudice is next. Should this be this month or next? There are
        >several people on the list and I would like to hear from all of you
        concerning
        >your thoughts and ideas.
        >
        >Happy New Year,
        >Jill Marie

      • Clarissa Cooke
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 1999
          >Hi!

          I am one of the new people on the list. I haven't read Sense and S. in
          a long time, but I will try to skim it. I got the video for Christmas,
          but as good as it is it isn't the same as the book.

          I am trying to read Glenarvon, I may be reading Middlemarch for the
          Pemberley group read, and I got a huge number of great books at
          Christmas, so a slow pace would suit me. If everyone else is ahead of
          me maybe I'll jump in for Pride and Prejudice next month.
        • theladyofshallot@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 1999
            I'm ready for Pride and Prejudice.

            Danielle

            or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
          • JEANNE STAPLETON
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 11, 1999
              I'm all for P&P. Let the games begin. :-)

              Jeanne

              On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, kala Curran wrote:

              > From: kala Curran <kala2@...>
              >
              > I'm ready for Pride and prejudice at any time.
              >
              > Kala
              >

              > At 12:04 AM 1/11/99 EST, you wrote:
              > >From: Dbelle1861@...
              > >
              > >Everyone:
              > >
              > >We have several new people on the list, and I wish to welcome all of you.
              > Has
              > >everyone finished reading Sense and Sensibility. Not much was posted about
              > >the novel, and I was wondering if ya'll enjoyed it or not. Please post any
              > >comments that you have concerning the novel. If we continue with the
              > original
              > >idea of reading the novels in the order they were written then I believe that
              > >Pride and Prejudice is next. Should this be this month or next? There are
              > >several people on the list and I would like to hear from all of you
              > concerning
              > >your thoughts and ideas.
              > >
              > >Happy New Year,
              > >Jill Marie

              > >select the User Center link from the menu bar on the left.

            • JEANNE STAPLETON
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 21, 1999
                > Everyone:
                >
                > We have several new people on the list, and I wish to welcome all of you. Has
                > everyone finished reading Sense and Sensibility. Not much was posted about
                > the novel, and I was wondering if ya'll enjoyed it or not. Please post any
                > comments that you have concerning the novel. If we continue with the original
                > idea of reading the novels in the order they were written then I believe that
                > Pride and Prejudice is next. Should this be this month or next? There are
                > several people on the list and I would like to hear from all of you concerning
                > your thoughts and ideas.

                Jill Marie:

                I enjoy S&S, but P&P is my favorite. I heartily endorse reading it.

                I'd like to ask everyone, in retrospect, who was their favorite
                character in S&S and why.

                this is a more complicated question fo rme than it might seem. I
                have to honestly say that it's Mrs. Jennings--who never tries to
                pretend to be other than she is.

                Jeanne
              • Dbelle1861@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 21, 1999

                  <<
                  I enjoy S&S, but P&P is my favorite. I heartily endorse reading it.

                  I'd like to ask everyone, in retrospect, who was their favorite
                  character in S&S and why.

                  this is a more complicated question fo rme than it might seem. I
                  have to honestly say that it's Mrs. Jennings--who never tries to
                  pretend to be other than she is.

                  Jeanne

                  I do love Mrs. Jennings, but Marianne will always be my favorite. I love the
                  confusion that she felt towards life, and was willing to throw caution to the
                  wind and be who she wanted to be.

                  Jill Marie
                • JEANNE STAPLETON
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 21, 1999
                    Marianne is my second favorite, but I will always feel that she sold out
                    by marrying Col. Brandon.

                    I've always thought a continuation where she and Willougby remet would
                    be interesting--his wife either dead in childbirth or simply estranged
                    and on permanent vacation in Italy.

                    Jeanne

                  • Dbelle1861@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 22, 1999

                      <<
                      Marianne is my second favorite, but I will always feel that she sold out
                      by marrying Col. Brandon.

                      I've always thought a continuation where she and Willougby remet would
                      be interesting--his wife either dead in childbirth or simply estranged
                      and on permanent vacation in Italy.

                      Jeanne >>

                      Oh!! I love Col. brandon, and couldn't stand Willougby. My contention was
                      (and still is) that there has to be a worm in an apple that shiney. After
                      what he did, Marianne should have given him walking papers. But that is easy
                      enough to say, and not easy enough to do, I know. Col Brandon just needed
                      somebody to get him out of his shell.

                      Jill Marie
                    • Clarissa Cooke
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 23, 1999
                        I have to admit that S&S is my least favorite of Jane's works. I still
                        love it, but I find Marianne too silly. I think that Brandon should
                        have married Elinore. Willoughby was too smarmy and overly romantic for
                        me. Still I figure that C. Brandon wants a cute young thing and doesn't
                        mind that she is a bimbo. For the time period their ages were not that
                        radically different. He is only in his mid 30's I think.

                        I think that I already ranted about this at least once before.

                        Clarissa
                      • JEANNE STAPLETON
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 23, 1999

                          > I have to admit that S&S is my least favorite of Jane's works. I still
                          > love it, but I find Marianne too silly.

                          It's my second favorite; I don't find Marianne too silly, but I find her
                          *young*. She may have been technically "of age" in Regency England,
                          but she was still a teenager; and if she was so "silly" or so "young"
                          to almost die over Willoughby, she was *much* too young to be married
                          to someone like Brandon.

                          She should've just been let grow up a bit more and fall in love with
                          someone else.

                          I think that Brandon should
                          > have married Elinore.

                          but that would've spoiled the story, now, wouldn't it! :-)

                          Actually, one of the things that I love about JA's writing is how a
                          suitable "alternate" sometimes appears on the scene--perhaps Col Brandon
                          and Elinor *might* have gotten together had the opportunity arisen.
                          In P&P, Col. Fitzwilliam certainly looks like a likely prospect for
                          Elizabeth Bennet, until he confides his dim matrimonial prospects.

                          Willoughby was too smarmy and overly romantic for
                          > me. Still I figure that C. Brandon wants a cute young thing and doesn't
                          > mind that she is a bimbo. For the time period their ages were not that
                          > radically different. He is only in his mid 30's I think.

                          Marianne is not a bimbo. Marianne is interested in cultural pursuits
                          and high romance and lacks certain aptitudes that would be useful in the
                          situation that life places her in. To be frank, I find it hard to hold
                          that against Marianne at all, since she is shown to be very much like
                          her mother; and since her parents didn't make better provision for hte
                          girls, either by some specific savings, by some more practical training,
                          or by at least checking Marianne's propensities toward romantic self-
                          indulgence.

                          Jeanne
                        • Dbelle1861@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 24, 1999

                            << From: JEANNE STAPLETON <jstaplet@...>

                            > I have to admit that S&S is my least favorite of Jane's works. I still
                            > love it, but I find Marianne too silly.

                            It's my second favorite; I don't find Marianne too silly, but I find her
                            *young*. She may have been technically "of age" in Regency England,
                            but she was still a teenager; and if she was so "silly" or so "young"
                            to almost die over Willoughby, she was *much* too young to be married
                            to someone like Brandon.

                            She should've just been let grow up a bit more and fall in love with
                            someone else.

                            I think that Brandon should
                            > have married Elinore.

                            but that would've spoiled the story, now, wouldn't it! :-)

                            Actually, one of the things that I love about JA's writing is how a
                            suitable "alternate" sometimes appears on the scene--perhaps Col Brandon
                            and Elinor *might* have gotten together had the opportunity arisen.
                            In P&P, Col. Fitzwilliam certainly looks like a likely prospect for
                            Elizabeth Bennet, until he confides his dim matrimonial prospects.

                            Willoughby was too smarmy and overly romantic for
                            > me. Still I figure that C. Brandon wants a cute young thing and doesn't
                            > mind that she is a bimbo. For the time period their ages were not that
                            > radically different. He is only in his mid 30's I think.

                            Marianne is not a bimbo. Marianne is interested in cultural pursuits
                            and high romance and lacks certain aptitudes that would be useful in the
                            situation that life places her in. To be frank, I find it hard to hold
                            that against Marianne at all, since she is shown to be very much like
                            her mother; and since her parents didn't make better provision for hte
                            girls, either by some specific savings, by some more practical training,
                            or by at least checking Marianne's propensities toward romantic self-
                            indulgence.

                            Jeanne

                            Everybody:

                            I am taking a class on Chaucer and we are required to know a little about the
                            ideas of courtly love. Marianne, to some extent, follows all of these rules
                            (To love is to burn, to be on fire, like Juliet, Guenevere, or Heloise.)
                            Willoughby also follows some of the conventions. The one thing where their
                            err is in their openess about the "affair". It is an interesting aspect to
                            look at in the novel. Too many topics in books and not enough time.

                            Jill Marie
                          • JEANNE STAPLETON
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 24, 1999
                              > Actually, one of the things that I love about JA's writing is how a
                              > suitable "alternate" sometimes appears on the scene--perhaps Col Brandon
                              > and Elinor *might* have gotten together had the opportunity arisen.
                              > In P&P, Col. Fitzwilliam certainly looks like a likely prospect for
                              > Elizabeth Bennet, until he confides his dim matrimonial prospects.
                              >
                              > Willoughby was too smarmy and overly romantic for
                              > > me. Still I figure that C. Brandon wants a cute young thing and doesn't
                              > > mind that she is a bimbo. For the time period their ages were not that
                              > > radically different. He is only in his mid 30's I think.
                              > >
                              > Marianne is not a bimbo. Marianne is interested in cultural pursuits
                              > and high romance and lacks certain aptitudes that would be useful in the
                              > situation that life places her in. To be frank, I find it hard to hold
                              > that against Marianne at all, since she is shown to be very much like
                              > her mother; and since her parents didn't make better provision for hte
                              > girls, either by some specific savings, by some more practical training,
                              > or by at least checking Marianne's propensities toward romantic self-
                              > indulgence.
                              >
                              > Jeanne
                              >

                              > Everybody:
                              >
                              > I am taking a class on Chaucer and we are required to know a little about the
                              > ideas of courtly love. Marianne, to some extent, follows all of these rules
                              > (To love is to burn, to be on fire, like Juliet, Guenevere, or Heloise.)
                              > Willoughby also follows some of the conventions. The one thing where their
                              > err is in their openess about the "affair". It is an interesting aspect to
                              > look at in the novel. Too many topics in books and not enough time.

                              I agree. They were looking at courtly love, not the day to day stuff.

                              Jeanne