Re: spin off novels

  • JEANNE STAPLETON
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 1998
      As a rule, I haven't enjoyed the couple of spin off novels I've read
      so far, but I'm willing to keep trying. I have _The Third Sister_ on
      order at amazon.com. I'm also working on a continuation novel of my
      own to P&P.

      I didn't care for Joan Aiken Hodge's continuation to S&S, because I
      thought it got involved in a whole seamy side of life that wasn't
      part of Austen's awareness.

      > I also wanted to hear from some of ya'll on Sense and Sensibility. There
      > haven't been any posts on the novel, and I was wondering what everyone was
      > thinking about the novel, or if anyone has had a chance to read it. I know I
      > am busy, so I am sure that others have a hard time fitting reading in of any
      > sort, let alone pleasure reading. No one answered my trivia question (What is
      > the card game that Marianne refuses to learn the rules to?). I am partial in
      > my question, since Marianne is my favorite Jane Austen character (besides the
      > wonderful Elizabeth Bennet, of course).

      I'm working on re-reading S&S right now. I haven't run across the answer
      to the trivia question. :-)

      Does anyone besides me wonder how Mrs. Fanny Ferrars Dashwood came to
      marry Mr. John Dashwood?

      Jeanne
    • Dbelle1861@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 1998
        I wonder at how a lot of the parents in Jane Austen novels got married.
        Especially Mr. and Mrs. Bennet. There is an unlikely pair if I ever saw one.

        Jill Marie
      • JEANNE STAPLETON
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 1998

          > I wonder at how a lot of the parents in Jane Austen novels got married.
          > Especially Mr. and Mrs. Bennet. There is an unlikely pair if I ever saw one.
          >
          > Jill Marie

          I think Austen herself gave us the clue there; I don' thav ethe novel
          to hand, but there was some line aobut "youth and beauty, and the
          appearance of amiability that youth and beauty can offer". She was cute
          and bubbly, probably very like Lydia, and Mr. Bennet was much younger
          then. My take is probably that he lusted after her and marriage was
          the only way to go. I also strongly suspect his own character altered
          somewhat, that he used to be a bit more sociable before driven into his
          library fastness by the overemotional demands of his wife and his growing
          family of girls.

          Jeanne
        • Dbelle1861@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 1998
            It makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought about it that way before. I
            imagine that she was a lot like Lydia (which is enough to make everyone run
            for cover). I don't have a copy of the novel in my apartment, but when I go
            to my parents I think I definitely have to reread the novel. Sometimes the
            movie just isn't enough.

            Jill Marie
          • JEANNE STAPLETON
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 1998

              > It makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought about it that way before.

              Well, we tend to think of marriage a lot differently now than then.

              > imagine that she was a lot like Lydia (which is enough to make everyone run
              > for cover).

              I suspect Mrs. Bennet was almost exactly like Lydia, which is why Lydia
              is her favorite child. She probably sees her goings-on as "high
              spirited". She probably thought herself to be quite fortunate to end up
              with a match that brought her the freedom of the estate at Longbourne.

              I don't have a copy of the novel in my apartment, but when I go
              > to my parents I think I definitely have to reread the novel. Sometimes the
              > movie just isn't enough.

              I know what you mean. They did make changes for the viewing. I like some
              of the changes they made and dislike other in both the a&E and the BBC
              versions.

              Jeanne