Re: Digest Number 39

  • EstairM@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 1999

      Hi Jill Marie

      I was born, raised and educated in Michigan -- Detroit area and Ann Arbor, but
      lived for 5 years in Chicago (West Rogers Park) after marrying and before
      moving to Israel. I liked Chicago. How's Tennessee?

      "It never occured to me that Marianne was selfish. Probably because I am a
      lot
      like her. It is an "arguement" that a friend of mine always have when we
      talk
      about the book. She is a big Elinor fan, and thinks that she was great.
      When
      I read the novel for the first time, I thought she was so boring. I have to
      admit to wondering how Marianne put up with her. She never seemed to know
      how to have fun."

      To me, Marianne never seemed to make allowances for people, like Mrs.
      Jennings for example. If Mrs. Jennings hurt Marianne with her prying or
      vulgarity, Marianne didn't see past that to Mrs. J's genuine good heart and
      generosity. Marianne was positively rude to Mrs. Jennings even though
      indebted to her for hospitality, and seemed to think she was the put-upon one,
      She let Elinor take all the burdens of being polite to people while she
      indulged herself in her feelings or sensitivity to character and manners.
      Note that Elinor also noticed and suffered from other people's manners and
      characters, but she didn't let that keep her from common politeness.

      Now, I hadn't thought about Elinor's being boring and not knowing how to have
      fun. (Maybe because I'm an oldest sister, too ;-)) It seems to me that
      Elinor had quiet satisfaction in her drawing, or walking, or hanging out with
      her family, while Marianne went into great raptures about similar pursuits --
      music, books, nature.
      The raptures, while attractive in certain ways, also had big drawbacks, such
      as her intolerance of opinions that differed from her own. And deafness to
      any attempt to explain or justify other opinions.

      I just wanted to shake her when she couldn't try to help herself after
      Willoughby disappointed her. Her great love for her mother and sister didn't
      help her sacrifice her self-destructiveness for their sakes. Grrr!

      On the other hand, I could picture her going to great lengths in a positive
      way if her emotions happened to lead her in the right direction.

      "Maybe Marianne suffered from middle child syndrom. Since the
      two of them were so different, they complimented each other and were able to
      get along on that regard. Certainly, most of us could use the friendship and
      love that those two shared."

      Agreed. Elinor and Marianne, and Jane and Elizabeth were very lucky....
      Esther

      Jill Marie
    • Dbelle1861@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 1999
        Ester:

        I have a tendency to agree with you the more I read the novel. Although I am
        the oldest child, my sister is six years younger than I am, so I had a lot of
        time to myself before she came along. We aren't really close (much to my
        disappointment) because she is in Connecticut and I am in Tennessee.

        It is great here. I came to live here on a whim after I graduated from
        college, and I now have no intention of moving anywhere else, unless my future
        job takes me there (I am in graduate school - haven't made it into the real
        world yet).

        Keep the converstation going. I love it.

        Jill Marie