New book out on Pride and Prejudice!

  • nbasurto2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2005
      Hi all-- I work for a book publisher called BenBella Books, and I wanted to pop
      by and let you guys know about a book we've got coming out on Pride and
      Prejudice called *Flirting with Pride and Prejudice*.

      It's edited by Jennifer Crusie, and includes essays by some of the top chick-lit
      authors writing, including Michelle Cunnah, Jennifer O'Connell and Beth
      Kendrick, as well bestselling fantasy author Mercedes Lackey, Regency
      romance author Elisabeth Fairchild, *Jane Austen Book Club* author Karen
      Joy Fowler and many others.

      From the official press release:

      Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice has continued to enchant readers and
      audiences since its publication centuries ago. In addition to being the
      inspiration for Bridget Jones, the 21st century's version of an Austen heroine,
      the story has been the basis for the wildly popular BBC miniseries, countless
      sequels and several modern-day film adaptations from a variety of countries,
      including the upcoming September release starring Keira Knightley in the
      coveted role of Elizabeth. As one of the most beloved novels of our time, Pride
      and Prejudice has transcended the literary world to earn a spot on every
      woman's nightstand.

      So what exactly about Austen's novel has captivated generation after
      generation? Twenty-four of the hottest writers in chick-lit, romance, fiction and
      SF and fantasy explore this exact question in the new anthology Flirting with
      Pride and Prejudice: Fresh Perspectives on the Original Chick-Lit
      Masterpiece. Edited by New York Times bestselling author Jennifer Crusie,
      Flirting takes a sexy, enjoyable and, oftentimes, humorous look at Austen's
      classic tale of high society, men vs. women, love and the happily ever after.
      Flirtatious interludes include:
      ***KAREN JOY FOWLER, bestselling author of The Jane Austen Book Club,
      explores the genius of Austen's works, delights in their appeal to the truly
      feminine and marvels at the timelessness of her tales

      ***Renowned historical romance author CHERYL SAWYER tells the little
      known tale of Jane Austen's chance encounter with the infamous Lord Byron

      ***New York Times bestselling author TERESA MEDEIROS explains the
      unfathomable allure of the ever-stoic Mr. Darcy

      ***Popular television critic JOYCE MILLMAN ponders the implications of a
      new reality show: Pride and Prejudice

      ***Bestselling fantasy writer MERCEDES LACKEY puts a fantastical twist on
      the matchmaking ploys of the newly married Elizabeth

      ***Acclaimed Buffy and Firefly screenwriter JANE ESPENSON sheds light on
      one of the most lightly drawn characters of Pride and Prejudice: Mr. Darcy's
      enigmatic little sister, Georgiana

      ***Bestselling romance author JILL WINTERS retells Pride and Prejudice to
      reveal the untold story of Mary's secret life

      ***Celebrated chick-lit, romance and comedic novelist MICHELLE CUNNAH
      considers how cell phones would have drastically changed the courtship of
      Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy

      You can even order directly from us:

      Also, if you go to our new Web site, http://www.smartpopbooks.com/allbooks/
      index.html#PrideandPrejudice, there's a preview of Crusie's introduction and
      a couple of the essays, in case you want to try before you buy!

      Thanks for letting me intrude. :) And I'll swing back by in a couple of days in
      case anybody has any questions. . . .