Re: Pride and Prejudice

  • backflash_tuna
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2002
      Being a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice, I have also seen the movie
      in question. As an adaption of the novel, it is terrible. The
      clothing, the plot, the characters -- everything is wrong.

      The costumes are cleary from about the 1830's period, and never once
      in the book do the characters participate in archery.

      But, the most disturbing part, for me, was the Character of Lady
      Catherine. They turn Lady Catherine into an amiable character who is
      determined to have Elizabeth wed to Darcy!!!

      The outcome, in the end, is the same, but along the way the
      filmmakers completely butcher Jane Austen's vision. It might have
      been an enjoyable movie, if one had never read Pride and Prejudice,
      and had no idea what the characters were really supposed to have been
      like. If a movie maker is going to completely change the story, time
      period, and characters, they should at least have the decency to
      change the name. Imagine if the makers of Clueless had called the
      movie Emma!

      I can see what you mean though, about the Gone With The Wind craze.
      The P&P movie was made, I believe, in 1940 - just a year after the
      release of Gone With The Wind. But what I can't understand is why
      they thought butchering Pride and Prejudice would somehow allow them
      to feed off the success of Gone With The Wind!

      Having read Gone With The Wind, and having seen the movie many times,
      I can say that the movie of THAT book is a fairly faithful adaption,
      leaving out only a few details that do not affect the overall story
      and outcome.

      Unfortunately, Jane Austen, unlike Margaret Mitchell, was not around
      to supervise the movie adaptions of her books. And the P&P movie in
      question is only one in a long line of unfaithful movie adaptions of
      Jane Austen books.

      --- In JaneAusten@y..., Carrie Salazar <carriesalazar@y...> wrote:
      > it was around the time of "Gone with the Wind"
      > popularity so they fashioned it with nonperiod
      > clothing to ride with that craze. i actually haven't
      > seen the movie but hear complaints about it
      > on pemberley.com (though some people actually
      > like some of it).
      > --
      > carrie s.
      >
      > --- "K.A.T." <inkslinger_k@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Let me apologize in advance to any fans of the
      > > following movie.
      > >
      > > I was looking for something to watch on television.
      > > Lo and behold there was
      > > Pride and Prejudice with Laurence Olivier etc.
      > >
      > > May I ask, what were they thinking?
      > >
      > > Victorian costumes?? Swings? Bows and Arrows? Mr.
      > > Collins looking the girls
      > > over like broodmares to their faces?
      > >
      > > I had to turn it because I was so extraordinarily
      > > disappointed. Was there
      > > any part that was faithful to the novel? Or am I
      > > right that Jane Austen
      > > would have not just been rolling over in her grave
      > > but spinning like a top.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > Kat ô¿~
      > > Inkslinger_k@y...