Hello to the new list

  • Dbelle1861@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 1998
      I just recieved the first note from a subscriber. I am so excited that this
      is starting. It actually works, which for someone who understands little
      about computers amazes me.

      Muriel - my personal favorite novel is Sense and Sensibility, but PP is my
      second favorite. The movie version to both was exceptional. I have them and
      love to watch them to sit down and relax. I am rereading SS right now. At
      least in between books for my classes (one which has 13!) I have a special
      place in my heart for Marianne Dashwood, probably because I make similar
      mistakes. I found myself relating. I think that is why I enjoy Jane Austen
      so much. I had summer school in London this summer and went to her house on
      the weekend. Incredibly enjoyable. I even bought the cross stich, something
      I haven't done since I was a kid. It is slow but enjoyable work.

      I really look forward to contributions to the list. Tell anyone else you know
      about the list. I want everyone to be able to enjoy the discussions.

      Jill Marie
    • TnTaholic@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 1998
        << Muriel - my personal favorite novel is Sense and Sensibility, but PP is my
        second favorite. >>

        Well, I love PP but SS comes in a very close second. In SS I tend to have a
        soft spot for Eleanor myself but I love all the characters. What about the
        other books? Emma tends to be one of her most popular but, while I do like
        it, I find it a bit on the sluggish side, I much prefer Persuasion.

        Muriel
      • Dbelle1861@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 1998
          I tend to agree about Emma. That is why I loved the movie version with
          Paltrow. They took all the slow parts out and made it much more enjoyable. I
          really enjoy Persuassion for its message, but I have to rank Mansfield Park
          after PP. The writing in there is exceptional. I have one more Austen novel
          to read, Catherine, that I found at her house in Chawton. I had never heard
          of it before. I do not even know if it is published here in the states.
          There is also a new biography out about her by David Nokes and he looks at her
          entire family. I have not finished it, but it puts a lot of her writing into
          perpective. Not that there is an Austen novel that I do not love, but
          Northanger Abbey makes me laugh everytime I read it. It is a good read on a
          dreary day.

          Jill Marie
        • TnTaholic@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 1998
            Catherine? I'd never heard of that one. Make sure and tell me how you like
            it once you finish reading it. ITA with you, the movie version of Emma with
            Paltrow was really great fun and Clueless is also a fun take on the story too.
            I agree that Northanger Abbey is fun and Mansfield Park is also a good story.
            I actually should read MP again since I can't remember much of the story. For
            some strange reason I remember not liking the ending for some reason.

            Muriel
          • Dbelle1861@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 22, 1998
              I had never heard of it either. I found it when I was touring her house this
              summer. It is published by World Classics. I don't know when I will have
              time to finish reading it, but I will let everyone know how it is.

              Jill