Was Polk's Secretary of State also the first gay president?

  • Ken S
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2007
      James Buchanan was, of course, the 15th President of the United
      States. He preceded Abraham Lincoln. Before that he was a Senator
      from Pennsylvania and later was Secretary of State in the cabinet of
      Jimmy Knox Polk. Buchanan was the only bachelor President, and this,
      along with other historical clues have caused some to speculate about
      whether Buchannan was actually the homosexual partner of Alabama
      Senator (and later Vice President) William Rufus King.

      According to historians John Seigenthaler (Polk's biographer),
      Phillip Schreiver Klein (Buchanan's biographer), Michael J. Birkner
      (another Buchanan biographer) and James Lowen, there is more to the
      theory than just speculation. In 1819, Buchanan was engaged to Anne
      Coleman, the daughter of a Philadelphia millionaire. The woman broke
      off the engagement after an "outburst of hysterics" according to
      Seigenthaler, and died shortly thereafter, quite possibly a suicide
      according to Klein. (Her attending physician said that this was the
      first instance he had heard of where "hysteria produced death.")
      Wikipedia lists her cause of death as an overdose of laudanum, an
      opiate. Seigenthaler writes: "her parents would not allow Buchanan to
      attend the funeral and his letter of sympathy was returned unopened
      by her father. Buchanan swore never to marry in honour of her memory."

      While in Washington, Buchanan's "room mate" was Alabama Senator Rufus
      King (who later became Vice-President under Franklin Pierce).
      Buchanan and King were rumoured to be lovers. For example, Tennessee
      Governor Aaron Brown was sent to Washington as an advance man for
      President-Elect Polk, and wrote Polk back, describing King as
      Buchanan's "better half" and as "Aunt Nancy." Although Buchanan was
      unmarried, Brown writes to Polk: "General Saunders, in the presence
      of Mr. Buchanan and his wife and some others, advanced the opinion
      that neither Mr. Calhoun nor Mr. Van Buren had any chance to be
      elected...and being asked by someone, who then can be, he forgot
      himself and said that Colonel Polk could run better than any man in
      the nation. This of course was highly indecorous toward Mrs. B."

      Wikipedia reports that Buchanan himself once referred to King
      as "Aunt Nancy", Nancy being a derogatory term for homosexual men in
      the 19th century.

      Historian Robert Remini writes that Henry Clay "rarely missed an
      opportunity to mock Senator Buchanan" when the two were in the
      senate. He writes of an occasion when Clay tells Buchanan, "in a soft
      feminine voice": "I wish I had a more lady-like manner of expressing
      myself".

      In 1844, Polk appointed King as Ambassador to France. King wrote
      Buchanan telling him "I hope you will find no one to replace me in
      affection." Buchanan wrote to a female friend "I am now solitary and
      alone having no companion in the house with me. I have gone wooing to
      several gentlemen but have not succeeded with any of them."

      Buchanan biographer Michael J. Birkner writes "what we know would not
      give even the most adventurous psycho-biographer much to go on." It
      makes for interesting gossip.