I Should Have Posted This BEFORE Christmas...

  • Ken S
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
      What do you buy for that special admirer of the 11th President who has
      everything? Look no further than the link below...

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JC3S9E/dealtime-app-
      20/ref=nosim
    • Travis Thompson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
            The T-shirt is haute courture indeed.  However, I am personally waiting on the release of the James K. Polk boxer-brief collection, which is more my style.
            Regards,
            Travis

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2007
          How nice that a bit of polking fun is possible.

          As for the t-shirt: Maybe some people would answer the question "Who
          is James Polk?" in the following way:
          http://www.drjamespolk.com/ - so the designer of this garment could
          hope for selling larger numbers of it by leaving out the K. between
          James and Polk.

          As for briefs I hope that the JKP memorial brief collection will not
          be too historical (knee-long at least, and usually made of woollen
          cloth). I got here a letter that Mrs. Polk wrote to her husband while
          he was campaigning for Governor. I cannot resist quoting it fully as
          I found it generally interesting, and not just for the sole
          mentioning of Mr. Polk's underwear. Words in Capitals were emphasized
          by Sarah Polk, the insertions in brackets are of course my own.

          Columbia July 23rd 1843
          My dear Husband,

          I have not anything of particular interest to write about since I
          wrote you last. The Democrats appear in good spirits and say that
          everything is going on right. As far as I can learn the MATLOCK
          affair (a local case of manslaughter) has made no impression one way
          or the other. JONES (Polk's competitor) appointment here for
          Wednesday has not been withdrawn by the Whigs and they say he would
          be here. Nicholson told me to day that I might write you he would be
          here whenever he (Jones) did speak and reply and that Brown would be
          here also. Your friends I believe think that you ought to come as
          they boast so much that you tried to keep him from coming to Maury
          and now affraid to meet him there. All this is stuff, and my advice
          is to act according to your own judgement. YET I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW
          WHEN YOU ARE COMING HOME.

          S. (Samuel) P. Walker (most probably one of Polk's nephews) will go
          to Nashville to meet you and can tell you more than I can write. All
          the object he has in going (is) to confer with you more fully than he
          could write. I will put in my letter a slip from the "Review" on the
          subject of the Jones appointments and the Observer had one of course
          similar to this – So that you can see what the papers say. I send you
          five shirts, socks, drawers and a white vest, which you can send back
          after wearing it at Nashville. There was no necessity for Elias to
          go, but I was affraid Samuel might loose your clothes – and the
          servant was so anxious to go – that I consented. … Sarah Polk

          (Elias became the President's body servant, got named Elias Polk when
          he was freed and stayed with Sarah, obviously till death did part
          them.)

          As for Polk's clothing in general: View here his only garment that
          survived till now: http://www.jameskpolk.com/JACKET.GIF
          I always thought this "smoking jacket", used to wear at home, was a
          present of Mrs. Polk for her beloved Jimmy on the occasion of his
          retirement. Perhaps Mr. Polk liked to wear it – but perhaps he found
          it quite as abominable as I do. No idea why I got it in my mind that
          he preferred to take off his coat, his cuffs and his collar and to
          roll up his shirt sleeves when he wanted to feel comfortable – and
          that fashionable Sarah did not approve of such a custom.

          I'm rather sure that Polk would have liked t-shirts very much, at
          least to wear them under his formal attire on cold days.

          Thanks also for the new pictures. I wonder what the first written
          document is. The handwriting does not at all look like Polk's, though
          the signature is definitely his own.

          Evelyn, passionate Polk-trivia collector

          --- In James_K_Polk_Appreciation@yahoogroups.com, "Ken S"
          <rule62ken@...> wrote:

          > What do you buy for that special admirer of the 11th President who
          has
          > everything? Look no further than the link below...
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JC3S9E/dealtime-app-
          > 20/ref=nosim

        • Travis Thompson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
            Evelyn:
                I enjoyed the Sarah Polk letter.  I also share Sarah's fashion sensibilities.  I would gladly wear the smoking jacket that you (and our esteemed President, Jimmy K) apparently find abominable!
                You may now pass me my cigar, martini, and a Polk biography, and I sufficiently settled into a cozy evening.
                Regards,
                Travis
                P.S. - I am actually obsessed these days with Franklin Pierce.  I have acquired 3 Pierce biographies, and am currently reading (and enjoying) Roy Nichols' 1931 comprehensive bio on Pierce.  I am at the section where Pierce has returned from his tour of duty in the Mexican War.  Naturally, there are Polk references in the book.  The other two Pierce books that I will be reading when I complete the Nichols bio are of more recent vintage.

            <rule62ken@. ..> wrote:

            > What do you buy
            for that special admirer of the 11th President who
            has
            > everything?
            Look no further than the link below...

            href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JC3S9E/dealtime-app-">http://www.amazon. com/exec/ obidos/ASIN/ B000JC3S9E/ dealtime- app-

            20/ref=nosim

          • Ken S
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
              Travis:

              I hope you enjoy the bio of Franklin Pierce. He's a subject that I
              find very interesting, and am looking forward to your report about
              whether or not the bio proves to be good reading. Pierce was, of
              course, a tragic fellow, and his experience of being present at the
              death of his son in a railway accident prior to his inauguration and his wife's belief that this was God's punishment for his political ambition makes him a most interesting subject. I wonder how much his heart was in the job after that, as well as how severe his reported drinking problem was. Let me know if you recommend the book.

              Evelyn:

              I enjoyed reading Sarah's letter to JKP which you quoted. I wondered
              if she was his laundry service at that time, since she instructs him
              to return the clothes after he wears them, presumably for laundering.
              It looks as if Presidents in the 19th century didn't enjoy the same
              percs and pampering that their 21st century counterparts do.

              -Ken

              --- In James_K_Polk_Appreciation@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Thompson"
              <travis62@...> wrote:

              > Evelyn:
              > I enjoyed the Sarah Polk letter. I also share Sarah's fashion
              > sensibilities. I would gladly wear the smoking jacket that you
              (and our
              > esteemed President, Jimmy K) apparently find abominable!
              > You may now pass me my cigar, martini, and a Polk biography,
              and I
              > sufficiently settled into a cozy evening.
              > Regards,
              > Travis
              > P.S. - I am actually obsessed these days with Franklin Pierce.
              I have
              > acquired 3 Pierce biographies, and am currently reading (and
              enjoying) Roy
              > Nichols' 1931 comprehensive bio on Pierce. I am at the section
              where Pierce
              > has returned from his tour of duty in the Mexican War. Naturally,
              there are
              > Polk references in the book. The other two Pierce books that I
              will be
              > reading when I complete the Nichols bio are of more recent vintage.
              >
              > _____
              >
              > From: James_K_Polk_Appreciation@yahoogroups.com
              Evelyn
              > Radecke
              > Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 2:28 AM
              > To: James_K_Polk_Appreciation@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [James_K_Polk_Appreciation] Re: I Should Have Posted This
              BEFORE
> [...]
              >
              > I'm rather sure that Polk would have liked t-shirts very much, at
              > least to wear them under his formal attire on cold days.
              >
              > Thanks also for the new pictures. I wonder what the first written
              > document is. The handwriting does not at all look like Polk's,
              though
              > the signature is definitely his own.
              >
              > Evelyn, passionate Polk-trivia collector
              >
              > --- In James_K_Polk_ <mailto:James_K_Polk_Appreciation%
              40yahoogroups.com>
              > Appreciation@yahoogroups.com, "Ken S"
              > <rule62ken@> wrote:
              > >
              > > What do you buy for that special admirer of the 11th President
              who
              > has
              > > everything? Look no further than the link below...
              > >
              > > http://www.amazon
              > <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JC3S9E/dealtime-app->
              > com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JC3S9E/dealtime-app-

            • Travis Thompson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 30, 2007
                Ken:
                    I will keep you updated regarding my progress with the Pierce bios.  Right now, I am reading the Roy Nichols bio (written in 1931) which has been the "definitive" Pierce bio for many years.  I am now at about 1850 in Pierce's life and am, thus, just a few short years away from his Presidential campaign and the Benny Pierce tragedy.  So far, Nichols' book has been most impressive.
                    When I finish with Nichols' book, I will next read, "Franklin Pierce:  New Hampshire's Favorite Son," written by Peter A. Wallner and published in 2004.  This book is the first volume of a planned 2-volume comprehensive Pierce bio by Mr. Wallner.  No doubt  Wallner is attempting to have his work supplant Nichols' tome as the definitive/comprehensive Pierce bio.  Time will tell.  From what I can presently tell, the first volume begins with Pierce's birth and takes us up to his inauguration.  The second volume will no doubt cover Pierce's presidential administration and the balance of his life.
                    After reading Wallner's book, I will then read "The Expatriation of Franklin Pierce:  The Story of a President and the Civil War,"  by Garry Boulard.  This too is a very new bio (2006 publication date).  The Boulard book covers Pierce's post-presidential life focusing primarily on his own reactions to the Country at war in the 1860s.
                    Thus, my present Pierce readings involve a 75 y/o bio comprehending the entirety of Pierce's life, plus a new bio specifically covering the Pre-Presidential life/career of Pierce and a final new bio specifically covering the Post-Presidential life/career of Pierce.  To tie it all together I guess I should also probably plan on reading Larry Gara's 1991 "The Presidency of Franklin Pierce" (which obviously and exclusively covers the Presidential years).  In fact, I now think that I will read Gara's book - maybe after I finish Nichols and before I start Wallner (thereby staying in chronological order of publication dates), that is if my brain is not too sore  from all of the "piercing" that I am subjecting it to these days!
                    Take care and best regards,