At times I like brooding - maybe in another life I was a hen.

  • Evelyn Radecke
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006
      Dear Ken, dear Polk-Appreciators,

      Now that I finished reading Polk's diary I find myself utterly unfit
      to share the thoughts that really move me. My participation in this
      newsgroup kept me occupied with a subject that I might have laid
      aside months ago for want of communication about it. Continuing my
      studies I learned so much that I do not know where to begin to tell
      about it. This difficulty could be overcome by boldly beginning
      anywhere if it weren't for the trouble that my thinking about Polk
      has become dead serious and gravely philosophical. I do not think
      that a newsgroup in the web is the right place for displaying such
      thinking, however appropriate it may be in the case of a man like
      Polk and a story like his life.

      So I decided to wait for the emerging of such a thing as my final
      opinion on Polk. Maybe it will be communicable, but maybe it will
      not. So far, I came to the conclusion that it is necessary to
      consider religion if one wants to understand James Knox Polk, the
      son of a deeply religious and very influential mother. But just
      religion seems to be a topic that is not fit for being discussed in
      a newsgroup. Maybe I should even excuse for speaking about it and I
      will not do it again.

      Anyway, participating in this newsgroup has enriched my life, and I
      am very grateful to you for that. I may choose to withdraw from
      writing further messages, but it will certainly not be for a lack of
      interest.

      Besides revelling in serious stuff I'm still mighty pleased with
      finding Polk-trivia. I always wanted to know how Polk's voice
      sounded. Now I learned that his wife found it soft and melodious.
      She said so in a letter to her mother in which she called the
      President "Jim", admired his speeches as beautifully delivered and
      described his manner as "always so quiet, calm and dignified, yet
      clear and commanding". As for Mr. Polk's speeches I cannot believe
      her, but as for his manner – provided there were no office-seekers
      around - she may be right.

      With kind regards

      Evelyn

      http://www.antiquespectacles.com/topics/people/people_present.htm