Re: Mr. Polk looks at a foreign feminine visitor

  • Ken S
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2008
      Thank you posting these most interesting journal entries Evelyn.
      Presently, I'm in Quebec City on business, and today I spent the day
      touring the Plains of Abraham, the field on which, in 1759, France and
      England battled in what was called "The Battle for Canada." The
      English, led by General James Wolfe, won the day, though Wolfe died on
      the battlefield. As I was touring this historic site, I wondered if
      the French had been victorious, what would my citizenship be today?

      My home is in western Canada, just a few miles of the 49th parallel,
      the line on which Polk and the British settled as our border. If those
      who cried 54' 40" or fight had won, I would be American. If the French
      had won the battle in 1759, I suspect that I would also be American
      today because I suspect that France would likely have sold all of
      Canada to the US at the same time as the Louisiana Purchase. Either
      that, or the French, being more willing to divest territory in North
      America than the British were, would have likely sold more territory
      to Polk.

      It's strange what twists history takes and how it affects us today.
      Speculating on alternate historical timelines is a fun past-time.

      -Ken
      --- In James_K_Polk_Appreciation@yahoogroups.com, "Evelyn Radecke"