Summer Reading

  • Ken S
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2008
      I'm just curious what everyone is reading this summer. In summer I
      usually read fiction while on holidays, but this hasn't been a typical
      summer. I'm just finishing up The Teapot Dome Scandal by Layton
      McCartney (about the scandal which rocked the Harding administration
      in which Harding appointed a big oil nominee, Albert Fall, as
      Secretary of the Interior, who in turn leased lucrative naval oil
      reserve land to big oil companies in return for kickbacks.) It might
      sound dry, but I've found it fascinating reading. (Amazon link below)

      http://www.amazon.com/Teapot-Dome-Scandal-Harding-Country/dp/1400063167/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218912564&sr=1-1

      Before that I read some fiction by one of my favourite writers,
      ex-criminal lawyer William Deverell. His latest is called Kill All the
      Judges, about an environmentalist poet charged with the murder of a
      judge. Quirky characters and great realistic courtroom banter. (Amazon
      link below)

      http://www.amazon.com/Kill-All-Judges-William-Deverell/dp/0771027214/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218912608&sr=1-1

      Before that, I finally got around to reading The Audacity of Hope by
      Barack Obama. It's a very good discussion on a number of complex
      issues including race, religion and broken government.

      I think my next read will be either a bio of James Monroe or Thomas
      Dewey. So many books, so little time.

      So what are the rest of you reading?